cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Warning: Samsung refrigerator never worked, now they try to bill me for depreciation

A short summary of the below: bought a refrigerator which could never be fixed by Samsung (research the class action lawsuit), was never offered a replacement even when I was eligible and marked for one, and now the company is trying to bill ME for DEPRECIATION on a faulty unit.

I own all Samsung products (TV's, appliances, etc.) - they're all fine, and I was pro-Samsung until now. Their refrigerators are garbage and their customer service is awful. I've never had issues with products like I have with my Samsung refrigerator. Shortly after purchasing it, the ice maker stopped working and froze up (see the lawsuits). Samsung had me follow a few steps to "fix" the unit, which did nothing. When they came to repair the unit in-person, the "fixes" would last a few months before the same problems would reappear. They last came out to repair my unit a year ago.

Now, during the quarantine, the same issue started up once again, in addition to the freezer and middle drawer both breaking. So much for stockpiling food. This, compounded by the fact that my wife is pregnant, made getting it fixed/replaced even more urgent. However, after speaking with customer service, it turns out that I was eligible for a replacement the last time Samsung was out to repair my refrigerator. I only found this out because the one customer service agent who was actually helpful said, "this is odd, but you were supposed to get a new unit over a year ago when Samsung was there to repair your refrigerator." So, this all could have been avoided and I wouldn't have had to throw away roughly $500+ worth of food.

The icing on the cake: Samsung now expects to give me another one of the same units (the same one that's a part of class action lawsuits!) or refund me for my unit MINUS depreciation AND sales tax. I have NEVER heard of a company being so stingy and disrespectful as to try and charge depreciation to a customer on a unit. Let alone one that never worked to begin with. I even offered to pay the difference to exchange for a different Samsung model. Anything to make sure I don't get another piece of junk that's involved in a class action lawsuit.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a note to the Samsung Customer Service team (and Business Analysts in charge of calculating the revenue impact of various return policies).

For the cash refund, you're trying to charge me $500 for depreciation on a unit that never worked. I bought it through a retailer, so assume their margin was 35% ($630), so by having me pay for depreciation you would only be out $130. I, the consumer, would be out ~$1,160 ($500 for depreciation + $160 sales tax + ~$500 for food). But, you're now turning me, a once loyal customer (who has $10k on Samsung TV's, appliances, etc. in his home), into another claimant in a class action lawsuit for the refrigerator model you sold (and are still trying to push) on me. Not only that, but you're losing all of my business for any other electronics or appliance product. All for $130. While class action lawsuits rarely result in full payouts for the consumer, it's a safe bet that it will be greater than $130 on a $2,200+ refrigerator. So that's a pretty risky $130 bet you're taking.

Meanwhile, I've offered to pay the difference to get a unit that isn't a proven piece of junk. This offer would be a direct purchase through you, Samsung, and the model is ~$400 more than my old model. So you would effectively collect $400 cash (no retailer margin, etc.) while also reducing your legal liability, increasing customer satisfaction, and doing something that might actually retain me as a customer (thus more revenue).

I'm not even going to go into the implications of exchanging for the same model because only a dope would accept it after spending years trying to fix it and wasting countless hours trying to deal with customer service on dozens of occasions (literally dozens - you can check my customer service history).

It's one thing to try to offload junk units, but you're ultimately going to be on the hook for hundreds of more in future repair bills, customer service tie-ups, and loss of sales to another brand (most likely LG). But hey, that's Samsungs [poor] choice.