JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Ice maker overfilling - drops ice on floor when freezer opened.

(Topic created: 06-30-2020 05:17 AM)
userJA1jeVS3D7
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

we recently bought a Samsung FR261BEAESR Refrigerator.  The freezer is located on the bottom in the form of a drawer.  When you open the drawer you hear the ice being scraped from the top of the ice compartment and pushed out the backside of the drawer; then you hear the ice drop and fall to the bottom of the refrigerator under the drawer.  You can not get to ice because the drawer is not easily removed.  You can see the ice build-up and evently being pushed out because the ice eventually is being pushed by other ice.  Imagine the coin game where you drop a penny in and hope it pushes other coins out of the machine.  When we open the freezer sometimes the ice that falls pushes the ice that has previously fallen out onto my kitchen floor approximately one inch under my frig.  Please help me with a solution.  I can send a video if that would help you visualize what is happening.ice3.jpgice2.jpgice1.jpg

13 Replies
Solution
MsBri1
Neutron Star
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

It sounds like the ice maker is making too much ice. Our ice makers are designed to stop when they're full.

• There are two methods for this, depending on which type of ice maker your model has.
    • Either an optical sensor detects when ice has piled too high, or a mechanical arm is pushed upwards when the ice piles high enough. If your ice maker won't stop making ice, this system isn't working.

If your ice maker is making too much ice, it's possible that the ice bucket is not inserted correctly.

• This allows ice to spill out of the bucket before it piles high enough to be detected by the ice maker.
  • Make sure your ice bucket is inserted correctly.
  • You can refer to illustrations in your user manual if needed.

Once you have confirmed that the ice bucket is inserted correctly, reset the ice maker. Resetting the ice maker will re-initialize it, which can potentially resolve issues with your ice production.

Reet the ice make

SamsungCaleb_1-1709671375615.png

If the troubleshooting did not help then this will be something that will require serivce. Depending on your warranty you will have a few options.

- If your unit was recently purchased, you can check with your retailer on their return/exchange processes.
- If you have an extended warranty you can reach out to them to have service set up.
- If you're within the one year warranty, you can Private message me or one of our moderators or you can call in directly at 1-800- 726-7864 with your full model and serial number to have service setup
- If you're OUT of warranty, you can use this link below to find a service center in your area.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/locations/

•  

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userJA1jeVS3D7
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

My reset buttonMy reset button

0 Likes
userGAq5EQFXmg
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

This is definitely NOT solved. I will share an image with Samsung engineering - my work-around to this issue. @SamsungCaleb this has to show up in your test devices. You can see I used a ‘gear tie’ to reduce the size of the opening between the ice box and the ice maker. You can also see that without it, the ice would get bumped off the ledge by the ice maker and fall behind the ice maker. That is the only thing that slowed the massive ice dump every time the freezer was opened.

1AC98674-CD6A-4D8B-BB4C-AA473E5D4E80.jpeg

userJA1jeVS3D7
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Thank you!  I finally found my reset button and I just reset.  I will post again in a few days to let you know if this worked!  My ice maker drawer was in backwards!!  Thanks again!!

0 Likes
MsBri1
Neutron Star
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

No problem, keep me posted 🙂

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userJA1jeVS3D7
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

my ice maker is still dropping ice behind the drawer when I open it.  I have emptied the ice tray, and re-set it again.  I will post in a few days with an update.

0 Likes
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Keep me updated! 

0 Likes
userJA1jeVS3D7
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Thank you for your patience.  I have reset my ice maker numerous times and it seems to work for a few weeks then all of a sudden one day I go to open it and I hear the unbearable sound of ice falling behind the drawer.    At this point, I do not know what else to do.   what advise do you have for me?  Thanks!

0 Likes
userCGCK5Karyj
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Any update on this?  Our new model RF261 does the exact same thing.  It's like they forgot to put a little wall at the back of the bucket!  Compared to some of the issues that I see other people are having with Samsung icemakers this may seem small, but it sure is annoying!