Original topic:

under warranty fridge is too warm

(Topic created: 05-18-2022 11:19 AM)
user8FC30susKP
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Dear Samsung,

We purchased a Samsung refrigerator last summer from Best Buy, with Model RF28T5001SG/AA. It is still under the 1-year warranty. I am still waiting for repairs to this fridge after reporting the problem 11 days ago.

On May 7, we noticed the food was warmer than it should be. The fridge was neither sparse nor overcrowded, and the vents on the back of the fridge were clear of debris.  I placed 4 analog refrigerator thermometers throughout the fridge and confirmed the temperature was several degrees above 40F in all locations, while the fridge was set at 37F and reporting a temperature of 37F. I tried setting the temperature to the lowest setting (34F), but the fridge temperatures stayed above 40F, even though the fridge reported a temperature of 34F. This implies that the temperature sensor is probably not reporting the correct temperature, causing the fridge to report and maintain a temperature that is too warm. For food safety, fridge temperatures should be below 40F, which is why the Samsung default temperature is 37F. I also checked the freezer temperature, and it is fine.

I placed a repair order with Samsung. Samsung sent a 3rd party service (Home Service Network - HSN) to our house on May 11. The HSN technician indicated he understood little English and communicated with gestures. He checked the fridge computer and said the fridge is fine. I pointed at the thermometers in the fridge. He said "garbage," and indicated he would not investigate the problem. He called Samsung, and the Samsung representative said that I could prove the problem if I used a digital thermocouple thermometer. The HSN technician left without fixing the problem. I see now that HSN has many terrible reviews and a poor average customer rating, with complaints similar to my own experience.

I purchased a digital thermocouple thermometer with 4 probes, and placed them throughout the fridge, with two probes in containers of water and two in air. I let the fridge stabilize overnight, and the original 4 analog thermometers plus the 4 thermocouple probes all reported temperatures near 42F. The fridge was still set at 34F and reporting 34F. With 8 devices indicating a temperature 8F hotter than the set point and reported temperature, the fridge is clearly not working properly.

I called Samsung on May 13, and Samsung said they would arrange another technician service. When I saw the Samsung email with the service, I checked the service for reviews, and saw this new 3rd party technician is a computer repair service with no reviews. I called Samsung on May 14 to explain how this did not seem appropriate, and Samsung told me that they would change my issue to the "Repeat Repair" division at Samsung. I was told to expect a call on May 16.

I received no phone call on May 16. On May 17, I called Samsung, and Samsung told me that Samsung attempted to call on May 17, with no answer. I looked at my new Samsung S21 cell phone, and it showed no missed calls from Samsung. I told this to the Samsung representative, who apologized for the error, and asked to confirm both my cell phone and a backup number (my landline). I provided both numbers, and was told I should expect a call in 24 to 48 hours.

It is now 24 hours later, so I called Samsung again, and the representative told me that I need to wait until tomorrow for the full 48 hours. Today is May 18, which is 11 days since the problems began with our Samsung fridge. We should be able to keep food at a safe temperature (below 40F) in a $1500 Samsung fridge that is less than 1 year old.

I am running out of patience for Samsung to fix this problem.

Thank you,
Tom Brown

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Hello there, We're very sorry to hear about your experience with this refrigerator and the service calls. If you would like, you can reach out to any of the moderators here in a private message. We would be happy to look over your case, and provide an update, as well as any other options that may be available. Please include any ticket or transaction numbers you received for your service calls. We thank you for your patience during this time, and appreciate your feedback about this matter. 

View solution in context

4 Replies
Diaboyos
Neutron Star
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
Unfortunately this is a user forum so you're unlikely to get a response from Samsung. Your best bet is to keep trying them on the phone or file a complaint with the BBB. They respond to all of those. I'd post a direct link but they won't let me.
user8FC30susKP
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Yes, I agree that Samsung is unlikely to respond here, but I thought it was worth a shot, and at the very least other Samsung customers could hear about the experience for their own information and also in case anyone had experienced something similar.  When I referred to my dwindling patience, I was indeed thinking BBB or state attorney general.  I've only contacted the latter once, years ago in a matter involving a different company, but I was pleasantly surprised by both the response and the outcome.  We'll see.

Thanks!

user8FC30susKP
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Update: It has now been 48 hours since Samsung promised a response within 24-48 hours, and I have received no call.  I called Samsung, and they said I should expect a call "soon" and hopefully today or tomorrow.  I am now spinning up other solutions in parallel.

0 Likes
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Hello there, We're very sorry to hear about your experience with this refrigerator and the service calls. If you would like, you can reach out to any of the moderators here in a private message. We would be happy to look over your case, and provide an update, as well as any other options that may be available. Please include any ticket or transaction numbers you received for your service calls. We thank you for your patience during this time, and appreciate your feedback about this matter.