Ice Maker Leaks Water

Astronaut

Ice Maker Leaks Water

We have had our Samsung RF30HBEDBSR refrigerator for 16 months.  Two months ago the icemaker started leaking water out of the front door and into the refrigerator itself.  The month before that we spent $350 to have the cooling fan replaced inside the unit.  I have chatted with the Samsung help desk and opened a ticket with Samsung and received no response from them.  How can a refrigerator that cost over $2500 have this many problems in less than 1 1/2 years!  I have researched it and found over 2000 complaints with the icemaker and Samsung said thanks for information we were unaware of the issue.  

It is evident that Samsung is in over their head with appliances.  Has anybody had any luck with getting Samsung to stand behind their products?

103 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: Ice Maker Leaks Water

Hi tsedgwick. Has the water filter been changed recently?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Astronaut

I have the same issue! 

I have a French Door style fridge (Model RF28HMEDBSR/AA) where the ice dispenser/water dispenser has a slow drip leak. It requires that I put a paper towel on the door to help soak up the water and I have to change it once or twice a day. Total pain. My unit is 15 months old. 

This is not a "chute is clogged with crushed ice" issue as I only use cubed. 

Samsung chat was not helpful in addressing the issue. 

I found this YouTube video that might solve the trick so I wanted to pass it along in case it helps. I'll be trying it today. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXL2sDGFkR0

Good luck!

A simple fix for leaking ice maker in Samsung refrigerator.
Constellation

I have the very same issue as well - its clear the rubber seal is not sealing the gap between the door and the ice maker - I have been searching for a replacement part for the seal to no avail and might need to resort to the bubble wrap fix as well....

Samsung....any response?

Constellation

I have the same problem with water leaking at the seal from  the front door chute to the bottom of the ice maker.  Has Samsung come up with a permanent fix for this problem yet, my Samsung refridgerator model number is RF263BEAESR.  Thank goodness I have a 5 year maintenance program through Best Buy because I have needed it twice with this refrigerator and the refridgerator is not yet a year old.  Look's like I am going to call them again to work on this problem.  I am loosing confidence in Samsung products.

Constellation

I have a brand new, installed 4 days ago rf23m8070sr/aa refrigerator and I woke up this morning to a puddle on my brand new floors.  I have the 5 year plan from Lowes and they have contacted Samsung to send a technician out.  It looks like the ice maker is leaking water slowly into the ice pan, then it is leaking into the door dispenser and leaking out on the floor.  

Constellation

I have the exactly same issue. Water drips from the ice maker into the ice dispenser unit. The fridge is 3 yrs old, that was included with the house purchase. I'm trying to get it repaired under the home warranty but I have a feeling this might not work, based on the 1 star yelp rating of the repair center by 40+ reviewers. I think for some reason the ice is not getting formed, which is causing more water to get added to ice maker causing it to overflow and drip into ice reservoir below it. The flapper of the ice dispenser should be air tight, but when enough water accumulates above it, the water pressure causes it to open and leak water and let air into the fridge, raising the inside temp futher higher. Please let me know how was your leak fixed.

Astronaut

My Samsung RF28HFEDBSR/AA ice maker leaks water and freezes up in the back of the unit.  I just finished thawing it with a hair dryer.  The refrigerator is 2 1/2 years old.  As many have described their problem, this ice maker was  slow  to start with then the dripping started and one ice bucket was completely destroyed before I found the frozen dam in the back where water enters the tray.  I called the Samsung number on the tag inside the refrigerator a couple of months ago.  The lady I spoke with on the phone was nice and tried to have me do different things to diagnosis the problem.  Finally, she gave me the number of the only Samsung certified repairman in my area.  He came to my house and looked at the unit.  He charged a fee of $90 and described what they would have  to come back and do which would cost me about $250.  I agreed.  One of his technicians came back and sealed the ice maker with a polimer where they said air was leaking in.  The also replaced the door flapper which lets the ice out and adjusted the placement of the tube where the water initially enters the ice tray.  This seemed to help for a few weeks then the whole problem started over again.  My current plan is to monitor the ice maker and defrost it every couple of months followed by hitting the reset button.  I hope to limp along for a few years until I can buy anothor refrigerator.  This problem appears to be systemic and unsolveable.   It would be nice if Samsung would recognize the issue and recall this particular ice maker.

Constellation

We have been having the same issue different model number - RF25HMEDBBC/AA.  Changed the Auger to the tune of $300. Requested Samsung pay at least the part fee.  The office of the Samsung president called me and said there were no reported issues with this model (but about a 1000 of others models had the same issue) so they would not reimburse me.  We are now having the same issue not a month later.  Bad business, bad design.

Constellation

Thank you for the possible fix on this. Ours is doing the same thing, worth a try. Thanks again.