960 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD - inaccessible boot drive error - Help please!

Highlighted
Astronaut

960 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD - inaccessible boot drive error - Help please!

[ Edited ]

I have a 960 Pro 512 GB M.2 NVMe SSD installed on a Gigabyte GA-Z270X-UD3 motherboard (latest F7 BIOS) in a system built about 2 months ago.  Also installed are 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 RAM, a Samsung 850 Pro SSD, and three HDD's.  The 960 Pro is the boot drive with Windows 10 loaded.  The motherboard has only one M.2 slot.

This system has been working very well for over two months, including last evening.  This morning, the system would not boot up.  The Gigabyte logo screen stays on longer than normal, one beep (normal) is heard from the motherboard, the Windows spinning dots spin longer than normal and eventually the system gives an inaccessible boot drive blue screen, with restart and other options.  On selecting restart, the motherboard beeps 4 times and boots into the BIOS screen, which shows a no ROM loaded message.  (I believe the 4 short beeps may be a "real time clock malfunction" - I'm not positive though.  The system time shown in the BIOS is accurate.)

The 960 Pro does show up on the various BIOS screens having to do with drives installed, boot drive order, etc.  I've tried loading optimized default BIOS settings, reinstalling the BIOS software, removing and replacing the CMOS battery (voltage tested above 3V), and made repeated reboot attempts in both normal and safe mode through the windows tool.  But the system just won't boot up - always behaving the same as described above.

There were no lightning strikes or electrical outages overnight.

Is something wrong with my 960 Pro drive?  Help please!

3 REPLIES
Samsung Moderator

Re: 960 Pro 512 GB M.2 SSD - inaccessible boot drive error - Help please!

Hi userHefAI9Xbew,

In order to test the SSD itself, have you tried a clean install of windows? the issues you are having may be OS related.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

It´s related to the latest Firmware bug....

Samsung Moderator

Hi MisterAT,

Unfortunately, Thats incorrect. The Original poster's issue is a booting issue after the drive was working fine. Not a firmware or freezing issues as other affected users have reported. I believe the OP may have already contacted us over the phone for further assistance.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.