HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

SOLVED
Asteroid

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

[ Edited ]

SamsungDave wrote:

Hi Everyone,

We are investigating this issue from a system compatibility point. If we find any new information or updates, we will share it.

Compatibility point?

What does that mean? Encryption of 960 PRO/EVO only works in case of this or that, depending on dedicated types of hardware or software. From the beginning of promotion of the 960 series it was told, that eDrive support will be available with future firmware. eDrive works if used as non boot drive. For my 960 EVO I can confirm that. But that is by far not enough. I expect it to work as boot drive, like the 850's do.

Is there any evidence or proof by Samsung (or customers) that this is the case? No.

Either Samsung not even have tested this or they know it does not work and they don't tell it.

Maybe there is no firmware problem, but one with NVMe driver or Windows, we don't know.

In any way the information policy by Samsung regarding this issue is terrible.

Sorry to say that.

Asteroid

I am regarding 2 forums in Germany where there are many, many people massively criticizing this. One of the best manufacturers of SSD´s and then something like this...

And worst of all is the fact, that this thema is not new, no sir! Is years old.

Asteroid

And the cream on the cake is the pathetic attitude Samsung has over the PSID revert tool that the majority of the other big players have released to allow a drive reset, yet it is only Samsung who screwed up the last updated leaving us with drives stuck in secure mode with no way out other than an RMA, WTF?

Asteroid

Can someone confirm, that the 960 evo has a new firmware that supports eDrive?

Because I read about problems with the firmware 3B6QCXP7 and Samsung said this:
"In worldwide beta testing, this issue didn't appear at all, and I still haven't had it come up on ony of our 960 Pros here. We aren't sure why the freezing is happeneing as the FW update was similar to the 960 EVO update, which all it does is enable e-Drive support on the 960 Pro."

So is the firmware for the 960 evo still online and everything runs fine? And just the 960 pro line has the problems?

Dont understand this.
Constellation

Hello userotuhtFWeud,

I am running my 960 EVO on version 3B7QCXE7, which is the newest version available online. This supports eDrive, but, as described by other users here, you cannot enable Bitlocker if it is a boot drive. I do not have freezing issues, but if I remember correctly, only the 960 PRO had them anyway.

Have a nice weekend!

Constellation

Any updates on this?

Anonymous

Hi nithinmanne,

Unforutnately, there is no update or information avaialbe yet, As mentioned previously, if there is an update we will post it here automatically. 

Asteroid

Hi

Also having the same issue in I couldn't get it work with a 960 Pro as a boot drive.  Motherboard is an Asus Z270 Prime A latest BIOS, Windows 10 latest version available, TPM version 2.0 showing fully supported in Windows 10, BIOS set to Secure Boot with no boot compatibility modules enabled.  I did a clean secure erase and installed Windows 10 a fresh but it would not enable the eDrive option and would only fall back to software encryption.

Continually have these sorts of issues with Samsung products, they promise a lot but fail to deliver on them all.  The main point of eDrive is that it works seemlessly as a boot drive, Samsung should have tested this and provided information on how to enable it correctly.  I doubt very many people will have these types of drives as secondary drives for storage only, they will be a boot drive.  If Samsung say eDrive is supported then why is no one getting it to work?

Regards

Phil

Nebula
Solution
Accepted by SamsungDave (Nebula)
‎03-16-2018 06:20 AM

Hello All,

After investigating the HW encryption problems from a compatibility point of view, we found this issue can be only be fixed with a BIOS update by the motherboard manufacturers.
Through technical collaboration with one of the major BIOS chipset companies, we have verified that a new BIOS update of the motherboard BIOS works well with the H/W encryption function in our SSD drives. We will continue to verify the solution with the other BIOS chipset companies.
We expect that the motherboard manufacturers will publicize the information of their BIOS updates for a solution.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Astronaut

I was able to get hardware encryption through bitlocker on my Samsung 960 Evo boot drive, but it was a painful process.

Started with multiple full system backups. 

Then I had to click enable in the Samsung Magician software. 

Created a usb boot drive.

Rebooted and entered the BIOS to disable secure boot and enable legacy booting.

Save and reboot to USB.

Secure erase my 960 EVO

Reboot into BIOS to tenable secure boot and disable legacy booting (UEFI only)

Safe and reboot into old windows 10 installer

Install as usual

Install Samsung NVMe driver

Install Samsung Magician

Reboot

Verify secure drive is "Enabled" not "Ready to enable"

Enable BitLocker,save key, and reboot when prompted

Check bitlocker status for hardware encryption from command line:

manage-bde -status C:

Manually reinstall/restore system

No matter what I tried (partition restore, drive restore, etc), if I had a new version of Win 10 I could not get the drive to use hardware encryption...at least from BitLocker point of view.  Samsung Magician would state the encryption was enabled, but BitLocker continued to say the drive did not support hardware encryption.   My theory, based on other threads, is that the drive was encrypting, but BitLocker would not manage the key...So it could only ever be unlocked in the same machine.  I was uncomfortable with that unknown so I did a full manual reinstall with stuff restored from my backups.

Grr, come on Samsung!  I love your products, but This shouldn't be so hard.