HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

SOLVED
Constellation

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

i have the latest z390 tuf gaming asus and it fails to enable hw encryption on 970 pro no matter if is boot or secundary drive. After trying for 3 days i gave up and enabled software encryption. Is sad that asus havent fixed this in their new series  even tho the problem is years old.

Astronaut

[ Edited ]

I raised a trouble ticket with Asus over this and they responded after about a month saying that they had zero plans of fixing this.

At this point Asus has no intention of ever fixing this, at least until more people make noise about it.  If you are interested in this feature, I'd suggest you go to their support page and raise a trouble ticket or return the board and get something else (ASROCK supposedly supports this).  

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101157-Hardware-Encryption-(eDrive)-on-Maximus-X-Hero-1003...

Asteroid

@userjI7KwDHFo6 wrote:

I raised a trouble ticket with Asus over this and they responded after about a month saying that they had zero plans of fixing this.

At this point Asus has no intention of ever fixing this, at least until more people make noise about it.  If you are interested in this feature, I'd suggest you go to their support page and raise a trouble ticket or return the board and get something else (ASROCK supposedly supports this).  

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?101157-Hardware-Encryption-(eDrive)-on-Maximus-X-Hero-1003...

I have an ASUS Board (Crosshair Hero VI) and I quarrel more than half a year with ASUS support about this issue and I gave up. I think raising a trouble ticket is simply pure waste of time. I told them not to buy any ASUS products any more.

Is it sure that ASRock supports edrive in the meantime? Maybe I decide to change the board.

Asteroid

For my ASUS Board (Crosshair Hero VI) there is a new BIOS available since 30th November 2018. But the problem with NVME hardware encrypted boot drive is still not solved. It is simply ridicolous. ASUS is not willing to fix this.

Astronaut

Try loading an older version of Windows 10 to enable hardware through bitlocker after the appropriate procedure of enable in magician, secure erase, and fresh UEFI install.

https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/1764724-hp-drive-encryption-and-windows-10-anniversary-update

Constellation

[ Edited ]

Beware of Asrock, at least when you have a Z370 board!

Their latest UEFI updates for these boards which also include a newer Intel SATA rom completely kill the compatibility with hardware encrypted (SATA) drives.

If you update for example a Z370 Pro4 to UEFI 3.30 and have ANY hardware encrypted (Bitlocker edrive) SATA drive connected, the board WILL NOT POST!

It is enough to just have such a drive connected for the UEFI to fail. It is not related to the boot drive. You can't even access UEFI setup in that case. You will quickly see the Asrock logo followed by immediate black screen and it does not respond to any keystrokes anymore. 

Only workaround is to disconnect all Sata drives which have Bitlocker hardware encryption enabled. 

If I disable Bitlocker before updating the UEFI, it does post and boot without problem. 

If I enable Bitlocker again, black screen and no post. 

Tried it with different SSDs and Sata ports, does not change anything. 

I talked to Asrock support about this, and they told me that they were in fact able to reproduce this issue.

They told me the only possibility for these boards after doing the UEFI update is to DISABLE Bitlocker edrive hardware encryption, otherwise the UEFI will not post and it is thus impossible to boot.

See the original response from Asrock below. I was really surprised about such a statement. Initially I thought there might have been a misunderstanding, because I couldn't imagine they are really telling me something like "just don't use it anymore, it does not work", so I asked them again if they are serious about that. But they confirmed that statement and said they can't do anything about it. 

@Asrock support wrote:
Hello,

feedback from BIOS department:

After checking and experimenting, we get below conclusion regarding hardwareencryption Bitlocker.
If the system is under encrypted status, it cannot boot into Windows again when restart system.
Only re-install OS or remove encrypted HDD and then able to boot properly.

So, please decrypted hardware encryption before shut down or restart system.
Then system is able to work normally.

best regards,

ASRock Support

ASRock Europe B.V.

Bijsterhuizen 1111

6546 AR Nijmegen

The Netherlands

www.asrock.com