HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

SOLVED
Constellation

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

I believe the update simply allows Magician to read the status of encrypted drives. The BIOS still needs to support Class 0 for it to work. TCG Opal must be manually configured using a 3rd party boot loader - it’s impossible for Magician to enable it on a currently used drive.

Nebula

[ Edited ]

Hello VelmaAndLouise,

The driver was released to prepare for future Magician updates and FW updates. Unfortunately there is no ETA on those.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

new 960 evo firmware out 3b7qcxe7

A changelog would be nice Smiley Very Happy

Anonymous

Hi GoNz0,

The only firmware information available for Samsung SSD firmware is located at the following link.

www.samsung.com/samsungssd

Astronaut

[ Edited ]

signed into the wrong account!

Asteroid

Well I now have a new issue, after the 960 evo firmware update and the 2.3 driver it told me it was ready to enable encrypted drive so I enabled it and secure erased. Bitlocker still doesn't work and now I am unable to secure erase or enable TCG opal support due to encrypted drive being enabled.

Where do I go from here as I am now unable to hardware encrypt the drive any longer, the old Samsung PSID revert doesn't recognise this drive nor do any 3rd party tools so I am kinda stuffed at the moment.

Do you have a tool for me to reset this drive back to factory?

Thanks.
Nebula

Hello GoNz0,

Did you make sure you installed a fresh GPT UEFI installation onto the 960 EVO after Secure Erasing the drive?

Please open command prompt and run MSINFO32. Upon it running, please telling me what is listed next to BIOS mode.

Also, please provide me with your system information.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Asteroid

Yes the BIOS mode is UEFI, it is also GPT, I made sure the installer was setup to only install GPT partition scheme for UEFI based systems on this laptop.

I am being told this is due to it being a NVMe device and bitlocker doesn't support it?

Spoiler
System Information report written at: 11/18/17 22:32:31
System Name: DELL-XPS
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name DELL-XPS
System Manufacturer Dell Inc.
System Model XPS 15 9560
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 07BE
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz, 2808 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 1.5.0, 30/8/17
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Dell Inc.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Possible
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.15"
Username DELL-XPS\gonzo
Time Zone GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 32.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 31.8 GB
Available Physical Memory 25.3 GB
Total Virtual Memory 36.6 GB
Available Virtual Memory 29.8 GB
Page File Space 4.75 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Virtualisation-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualisation Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes
Nebula

Hello GoNz0,

Do you have the newest firmware for the 960 EVO along with the 2.3 Nvme driver installed? They should allow Bitlocker to enable and run on the SSD.

Is your system set to AHCI mode or RAID mode in the BIOS (needs to be in AHCI mode)? Do you have Intel Rapid Storage installed (if so, uninstall it)?

Constellation

[ Edited ]

I too am having this problem with a enabling hardware encryption on the Samsung 960 pro SSD.   The Magician software says that Encrypted Drive is enabled, however when I go to enable Bitlocker, it defaults to software encryption.  

I have CSM turned off (UEFI boot), the latest NVME drivers, and the latest firmware (updated last night), the operating system is showing its a GPT partition.  

Its my operating system boot drive, if that matters. 

Edit - adding - no I don't have Intel Rapid Storage installed.