HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

SOLVED
Constellation

Re: HOW TO MANAGE ENCRYPTION OF 960 PRO

The one I was able to find was quite old and didn't recognize my 960 EVO.
I also tried sedutil but that only completely wiped my disk without removing the hardware encryption. All in all pretty unsatisfying...

Asteroid

@userG0FBPgtMQs wrote:

You can easily find the PSID revert tool online ;-)

That is for older Sata based drives, it was the 1st thing I tried.

Constellation

So, are we finally going to be getting a solution for this?

Asteroid

[ Edited ]

The Samsung PM971 SSD, an NVMe drive which comes preinstalled in some newer Surface Pro tablets, supports eDrive. Full Bitlocker hardware encryption of the boot drive is working in Windows 10 using the default Microsoft driver after performing a secure erase and clean-installing Windows.

Therefore it seems there is no limitation in Windows or the driver. Samsung recently added eDrive support to the 960 NVMe SSDs and its driver in version 2.3. However, it appears that additional support is perhaps required in the motherboard's BIOS/system firmware for boot drive functionality. Either that or their eDrive implementation is broken.

What is completely baffling, then, is when Samsung finally added the long-awaited eDrive support in its 960 NVMe SSDs, how did they not test eDrive on a boot drive connected to a variety of test motherboards? Whichever motherboard(s) they did test on may have worked for them, but clearly they did not have a big enough sample size.

The act of adding eDrive support to the 960 PRO and EVO drives was buggy and disastrous, which gives credence to the theory that they really didn't test these updates thoroughly enough.

Now that the PRO firmware has been fixed (still waiting on the EVO fix - yes it was similarly affected despite what Samsung might have you believe), and assuming the firmware "team" now have time to look into this, can we expect to receive a response in the coming months at least?

Astronaut

@SamsungDave wrote:

All,

Quick update. I was able to get bitlocker to do hardware encryption with no issue on the 960 PRO when I had it as a secondary non-boot drive. Can anyone else try this?

Can you post the steps you went through to get that working? I want to do the same thing,

I have a 960 Pro that I am using as a secondary drive for MySQL databases, and the boot drive is a PNY.  In Samsung Magician, the 960 Pro  says eDrive is disabled, but has the button "Ready to enable".  I've tried enabling and secure erasing, then reinitializing it in Windows and enabling Bitlocker to no avail.... all I get is software encryption.

Asteroid

I have a Samsung 960 EVO with firmware 3B7QCXE7. That firmware is now "online" again, indicating Samsung might not publish a new firmware like they did for the 960 PRO.

Hardware encryption with Bitlocker only works when using as non-boot drive. As boot-drive, Bitlocker fails to get activated.

I would like to know:

1. Does hardware encryption on 960 PRO not work too when using as boot drive? Even with the newest (fixed) firmware? Can someone confirm that?
  2. On the other hand, is this a problem of NVMe driver rather than of firmware?
  3. But if its related to the driver, why does hardware encryption work on other Samsung M.2 drive PM971 also as boot drive (there are reports on that)?

Asteroid

Hi,
I also want the eDrive support for my 960 pro. With the 850 pro everything works like a charm, but with the 960 pro Magician shows a message, that the drive is not supported :-(

For about 520 Euros (1 TB) I want more than this. And like I read here, this problem is old...

Please fix it.
Nebula

Hi Everyone,

We are investigating this issue from a system compatibility point. If we find any new information or updates, we will share it.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

Hello Dave and thanks for your reply.

Me and many others are waiting for edrive Support a long time (actually since the release of the 950 pro when it was first announced). Please dont let us in the dark and provide us updates when or if ever you guys planning on releasing a fix.
Thanks
Asteroid

The great "if"

I wouldn't hold your breath.