Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

SOLVED
Constellation

Re: Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

My 500Gb 840 evo doesn't even show up in Magician 5.1 but reverting back to 5.0 I can see my drive show up in the list of drives.

Anonymous

Hi userF5N4,

Have you already tried the troubleshooting steps we mentioned previously to other users on this thread?

Asteroid

So why don't you make an older version available as clearly this version 5 is so unreliable lots of people are having problems with it. Either that or add better error messaging and handling to version 5 as something is clearly wrong with it.

Constellation

I have uninstalled and reinstalled samsung magician and rebooted pc. Still ver 5.1 is not showing my samsung SSD.. Ver. 5.0 gives me no problems so I will stick with it. Also there is older versions available at www.guru3d.com/files-details/download-samsung-magician-4-5,2 (5.0 and 4.9 atleast).

I am using Gigabyte z87x-oc-force motherboard and Samsung 840 EVO is connected to Marvell 88SE9230 chip with factory firmware.

Nebula

Hello userF5N4,

That's your problem. You are using the Marvell SATA ports. I would highly recommend switching to the primary Intel ports on your motherboard. Marvell ports are well known to cause performance and sometimes freezing issues with SSDs and sometimes can be weird with Magician. If you want to stay on the Marvell port, the only thing I can advise is to make sure the most up to date SATA controller drivers for Marvell are installed.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

Cheers, I switched My SSD to intel z87 chipset and plugged 2xHDDs to Marvell chip and my Samsung SSD works now with version 5.1. However all my HDDs connected to Marvell chip is now not noticed by samsung magician 5.1. I dont know what you guys did brake between 5.0 and 5.1 but thanks for sharing the fix. Smiley Happy

Constellation

[ Edited ]

This issue is a textbook example of how DRM fails the one person it’s “supposed” to help - genuine customers 😝

Constellation

Same issue still here.

Samsung Magician (SM) 5.0 worked OK in my Windows 7 x64 OS until i upgraded to SM 5.1. Since then  "This Drive is Not Supported" even when reinstalling SM 5.0. So it's upgrade to SM 5.1 that killed the application irreversibly.

I've made some deeper analysis an here what i've found:

SM 4.9.7, if installed, works OK, SM 5.x doesn't work no matter how to install it (clean install or upgrade from SM 4.9.7). "Refresh" button does not help as well. Turning firewall off during setup yields no result. Wireshark indicates some two-way encrypted communicating between SM 5.x and Samsung server but as it's encrypted i have no idea of what's the result.

I've got another system drive with WIndows 7 x86 and without any SM software initially. SM 5.1 installed into that system seem to work OK.

Visible difference between two SM 5.1 installations on the same hardware but in different OS ("bad" one in WIn7 x64 and "good" in Win7 x86) is configuration file(s) content. Good installation generates 2 configuration files in SM \ Config sub-directory, bad one generates only 1 file much smaller in size.

If "good" configuration files copied into "bad" installation \Config directory then "bad" SM 5.1 recognizes SSD OK, but some other functions (like "Rapid") still remain unavailable.

Taking into consideration all above I'm sure that there's software issue with SM 5.x Samsung must deal with. Tech reason of the problem is inability of SM 5.x setup procedure to create proper configuration file(s) under certain conditions.

Constellation

@SamsungRicky wrote:

Hello AlexMartin,

Yes, in order for the Samsung Magician to detect your drive and all of its information the drive must be connected via SATA directly into your motherboard. The system must also have access to the internet in order for all SSD information to be verifyed.

May I ask why it needs to call home in order to use this software with the drive I paid good money for? It is easy to confirm that v5.1 tries to reach out to Samsung in South Korea (112.106.186.155 at the moment). Unfortunately for people who whose work or ISP geoblock foreign destinations such as this, the software will not work. Very disappointing that Samsung requires an internet connection to call home to South Korea in order for Magician to work, which is something that previous versions did not require. 

Attachments

Astronaut

[ Edited ]

We are an IT company, we configure all of our clients firewalls to Geo-block most foreign countries that do not have any services useful to US business users.  If SM is broken because of a connection to Korea, we will need to find another brand SSD, we have hundreds of EVO's installed.   We will not compromise our clients' security for your personal gain.  

I just verified opening access to the "Republic of Korea" on our firewall makes Magician happy.  Would love to know what other information it just passed to you.   Having flashbacks of the Samsung TV spying.

Please post a response of how your software will soon not be required to phone home across the world and violate multiple corporation security protocols,  or I will have a field day posting this info on every review site I find.