Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

SOLVED
Constellation

Re: Samsung 850 EVO "This Drive is Not Supported" with Magician 5?

I can see it attempting to for version updates and what not, and if you say this version reaches out for auth checks, then sure. Let's say it does that. However, I can assure you this isn't able to reach out to a South Korean ip address for an authenticity check and v 4.9.6 is right now saying this drive is genuine and v 5.1 is not.

But hey, it's whatever at this point. I've voiced my feedback about not being happy with this needing to call home for software functionality. Last samsung drive, yadda yadda, whatever else frustrated customers say.

Constellation

@looo wrote:

Same issue still here.

Samsung Magician (SM) 5.0 worked OK in my Windows 7 x64 OS until i upgraded to SM 5.1. Since then  "This Drive is Not Supported" even when reinstalling SM 5.0. So it's upgrade to SM 5.1 that killed the application irreversibly.

I've made some deeper analysis an here what i've found:

SM 4.9.7, if installed, works OK, SM 5.x doesn't work no matter how to install it (clean install or upgrade from SM 4.9.7). "Refresh" button does not help as well. Turning firewall off during setup yields no result. Wireshark indicates some two-way encrypted communicating between SM 5.x and Samsung server but as it's encrypted i have no idea of what's the result.

I've got another system drive with WIndows 7 x86 and without any SM software initially. SM 5.1 installed into that system seem to work OK.

Visible difference between two SM 5.1 installations on the same hardware but in different OS ("bad" one in WIn7 x64 and "good" in Win7 x86) is configuration file(s) content. Good installation generates 2 configuration files in SM \ Config sub-directory, bad one generates only 1 file much smaller in size.

If "good" configuration files copied into "bad" installation \Config directory then "bad" SM 5.1 recognizes SSD OK, but some other functions (like "Rapid") still remain unavailable.

Taking into consideration all above I'm sure that there's software issue with SM 5.x Samsung must deal with. Tech reason of the problem is inability of SM 5.x setup procedure to create proper configuration file(s) under certain conditions.

Glad to say that i've sorted out the problem. It turned out that newly installed Magician could not properly communicate with Samsung authentication server and deactivating  firewall wasn't enough to resolve this.

I'm running "Dr.Web security space" -software that checks Internet traffic including encrypted one. When a certificate problem occur this software blocks encrypted traffic even if firewall has been set totally off. When i disabled "Check encrypted traffic" option temporarily and launched Magician communication with server was succesfully done and now Magician works OK even offline.

Interestingly, several months ago when i first installed Magician 5.0 there're no such problems at all so it seems that some certificates have expired since then resulting in the discussed problem.

Constellation

There's still a little difference in Magician functionality depending on whether Samsung server available or not.

If it is, "RAPID mode" field on the main screen offers on/off switch, otherwise - displays "Not supported" .

Constellation

Well,

latest Magician 5.2 release looks free of bugs described in 2 previous messages.

Thanks, Samsung!

Astronaut

he u Right 4sho
Constellation

Umm, what about people who's systems are not allowed to be online?  We have dedicated machines that cannot be online due to security reasons, and are dedicated offline machines. 

Please FIX THIS, so this works OFFLINE.

I just updated to 5.2, and that looks like it's a mistake.  Ugh.

Nebula

Hello user1tFwuKI1XH,

It does not need to be continually online. Just for the first time initial authentication. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Constellation

[ Edited ]

Hi, thanks for the quick response!  Unfortunately, that's not good enough.  These systems will never be online ever again.  Is there anyway to get this going without being online?

Astronaut

Brand new 860 EVO.  Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit.  Clean install.

Connected to internet.  NO software installed beside OS.  Just downloaded Samsung Magician.  Not supported.  WTF is going on?

Astronaut

Hi guys,

I was getting the same issue but was solved after disabling the firewall and refreshing the Samsung Magician. 

Windows 7 Ultimate here. Magician 5.2.0

Best.