JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung SSD 850 PRO 128GB and performance test in Magician 5.2 - 5.2.1

(Topic created: 06-05-2018 02:04 PM)
Lex_1
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Good afternoon. I have a Samsung SSD 850 PRO 128GB with EXM04B6Q.
The latest updates of Magician, in versions 5.2 and 5.2.1, the SSD performance test shows a decrease in SSD performance.
Prior to the release of Magician version 5.2, this performance decline did not occur.
What happens with the Samsung SSD 850 PRO 128GB? Why does the Magician fall in performance?
Other SSD status parameters do not show problems with the SSD.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello userYzaF6qdKAo,

What is the current version of your SATA driver? What kind of system or motherboard are you using? As mentioned previously, different versions of Samsung Magician may interact differently with different SATA drivers. SATA drivers have a very big impact on performance.

Also, try a third party benchmark tool as well and tell us your results, so that we may continue troubleshooting.

View solution in context

0 Likes
10 Replies
Lex_1
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Today installed Magician 4.5
Performance tests such as the new SSD.
Samsung, what happens to Magician 5.1 \ 5.2 \ 5.2.1? Why do performance tests in these versions show poor results?

Performance tests in Magician 4.5

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi userYzaF6qdKAo,

If you update your Samsung Magician, you must in most cases also reinstall or update your motherboard's SATA drivers if you are seeing low performance, have you also tried a third party benchmarking tool? If so, what are your results?

0 Likes
Lex_1
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

I did not try third-party programs. Reinstalling the SATA driver does not affect the test results.
But if I return the old version of Magician 5.1, it will show the previous high results of the SSD performance test.

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello userYzaF6qdKAo,

What is the current version of your SATA driver? What kind of system or motherboard are you using? As mentioned previously, different versions of Samsung Magician may interact differently with different SATA drivers. SATA drivers have a very big impact on performance.

Also, try a third party benchmark tool as well and tell us your results, so that we may continue troubleshooting.

0 Likes
userYrdjwSYDMf
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I agree.

John

0 Likes
Lex_1
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

OS Windows 10 \ 64 1803
Motherboard ASUS Z97-K
SATA Driver 10.0.17134.1

The activation of the RAPID in the Magician and the results of the SSD performance test, compared to previous versions of the Magician, indicate a decrease in SSD performance in RAPID mode.

If RAPID mode is turned off, the SSD performance results are consistent with the claimed performance.If RAPID mode is enabled, SSD performance results indicate performance degradation, depending on the use of the Magician version.
On previous versions Magician SSD showed performance results higher than the last. Gradually, from version to version, the performance in RAPID mode decreased. Now in Magician 5.2.1 version, SSD performance in RAPID mode is 25% lower than in Magician 5.1 version.

When I return the old version of Magician, with RAPID mode enabled, SSD performance is good.
What happens to RAPID mode, why does SSID performance decrease in new versions of Magician?

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello Lex_1,

If you are only experiencing a small fluctuation of performance when Rapid Mode is on, then you do not have an issue. Rapid mode is a cache within your system RAM that is created to assist the drive's performance. This cache is dynamic and can change at anytime, depending on your windows OS and its current memory requirements. If windows is requesting more system RAM, Rapid mode will provide less performance as the cache will become smaller. Newer version of the Samsung Magician use/optimize your RAM cache differently. Which means, that newer versions will create smaller RAM cache, if the software determines that Rapid mode is not needed or less important. Samsung cannot guarantee any specific RAPID mode benchmark results. 

0 Likes
Lex_1
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

In my PC, two RAM at 8Gb = 16Gb. All tests took place in the same state and load. When I conduct an SSD test, the system uses 3.3 GB of RAM.
When I return the old version of Magician to the PC, and the system also uses 3.3 GB of RAM, but the tests return the previous high performance rating in RAPID mode.
What I noticed, the time of the performance test increased on the latest version, about + 30-40%.
Was the test load in Magician 5.2 - 5.2.1 increased?
If - "Yes", then, what's the point - increasing the test load in the latest versions of Magician? - test results cause concern.
Why does the performance test in RAPID mode conspicuously spend more time?

0 Likes
Lex_1
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Are there any solutions or explanation for performance degradation in RAPID mode for SSD?

0 Likes