Slowdown in 960 PRO SSDs after the new firmware update (Version: 3B6QCXP7)

Constellation

Re: Slowdown in 960 PRO SSDs after the new firmware update (Version: 3B6QCXP7)

It's rediculous that this still has not been fixed but for the people who have the issue, I have found that the longer you leave your computer on, the less the freezes happen. It's been on for a few days and its really rare that it freezes now. I think its not working at full speed but is useable.

Asteroid

userOhA4QKkWmj wrote:
I do use 2 x 960 PRO 1TB with Firmware 3B6QCXP7 as pure DATA SSD devices.
I get no problem at the moment (ANVIL, ATTO, Crystal Disk Mark, AS-SSD tools used for tests) under W10 x64 v1709 up to date.
I do use NVMe driver v2.3.0.1709
So, is the problem only for 960 PRO boot devices ?

My 960 pro isn't my os drive and I still get 100% activity with nothing going on.

Constellation

luck if you can turn on rapid mode after the update my 960 evo says not supported

Constellation

userGJN5erUBoc wrote:

luck if you can turn on rapid mode after the update my 960 evo says not supported

RAPID mode doesn't support the 960 drives.

Constellation

userGJN5erUBoc wrote:

Rapid Mode is a gimmick that only works with SATA disks. No NVMe drive(s) have ever used Rapid Mode. 

I sincerely hope that this delay in releasing a fix is due to the new firmware being tested thoroughly this time. Not being able to get work done efficiently with my OS disk (960 Pro) is incredibly annoying, but I'd much rather they spend the time ensuring that their new firmware works, rather than releasing another bad version.

This issue is definitely way more widespread than they're letting on, however. Every single one of my friends who owns a 960 Pro is now having an issue with it since the last update. These are no longer "edge cases," IMO. 

Constellation

soon for logitech could be 3 months

soon for Microsoft could be 6 months

soon for Samsung what is it 1 year or 2 month ???

Please people stop to use the word "soon", it is not helping your business...

Soon for me, is meaning right now, the next day, you have no more than 24 hours

Quote: "Remember what happen with Samsung firmware 3B6QCXP7 at the end 2017, before buying"

Constellation

This is crazy.  Articles all over the web are talking about the firmware disaster.  It's been weeks now.  All Samsung needs to do is create a roll back to the old firmware.  Then Samsung engineers can take years to perfect the next roll out.  who cares?  Just give me a working harddrive.

Let me be clear.  Just in case Samsung does not have a "crises emergency team."  If this persists, competitors will use this as an opportunity to sell drives that eclipse Samsung.  The damage is increasing exponentially every day.

Get this fixed!

Highlighted
Astronaut

Another user that is affected by this firmware issue.

Took me 20 mins to extract a 4GB ISO due to the amount of freezes.

Come on Samsung, sort this out as my servers and desktops are causing loss of productivity due to these freezing issues which is now affecting our business. We may have to scrap the 960 Pro's and go with a different brand so we can keep functioning and able to meet client deadlines.

Astronaut

I just bought one of these and will be installing shortly in a brand new PC. I've never installed an nvme drive before. Any tips on how to avoid this firmware disaster would be much appreciated!

Is installing magician necessary? If so, will it prompt for firmware upgrades? Should I let it upgrade anything on the drive older firmware versions, etc?

Thanks!

Constellation

For Windows 10 (don't know for previous OS) there is no need of installing anything: the generic Microsoft driver will do. However, if you want to, a Samsung NVME driver exists for (quoting) "optimal compatibility and performance". Magician Software is not necessary, it is there mainly for firmware upgrades (which can also be done manually). The firmware available on the website is fine, so, personally, I would just manually upgrade to that, if needed.