cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1tb 960 evo 100% windows 10 freezes and crashes after firmware update

JUMP TO SOLUTION
figured I would just make a post of my own maybe I can get some help Re: 960 EVO 1TB causing random Windows 10 freezes and crashes? [ Edited ]

my problem is the same also after the last firmware update worked fine until that 

please help me I am running on a reg wd blue 1 TB SSD now with no problems what so ever also the nvme cause my other system to freeze and it does not matter which one I install windows on  or what slot they are in they both cause the issue but when removed the issue is gone I do not have any logs as it does not leave in in the event viewer please help me samsung or refund my money I dropped a little over 1500 on 3 of the drives so I could have a couple DOPE systems and I cant use them to boot  I hope you can atleast understand my problem here.... 

also, I'm sure you would have more reports but it is a hard catch because your software says the drive is good and it does not show any errors on chkdisk so I'm sure all the people having the problem have just not connected it yet

system info (both) systems I have tested them in have the same specs except 1 system only has 1 gfx card and 32gb of ram besides that basically the same

i7 8700k 

asus z370-e Gaming

2 - 1 TB 960 EVO NVME

2 - 10 TB WD GOLD DRIVES

4 - 16GB pc3200 Trident Z gskill RGB memory 

2 - aorus X 1080ti 

evga 850 G3 PSU 

https://imgur.com/a/1mL2l

@SamsungRicky  can you please help I have 2 drive that I have updated the firmware no I can no longer use either as a boot drive

I included this screenshot so you can see the drives run fine with no errors even after the update except not anywhere from 1 min into the boot up to 30min the system will freeze no BSOD no error codes just the drive usage spikes to 100% with 0KB/s read/write for about a minute I have run malware bytes even no that's not the issue because it happens even with fresh install of windows and on different pcs 

also, I have another 960 Evo that I did not update and it works on both systems as a boot no problems

is there a way to rollback the firmware

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 1tb 960 evo 100% windows 10 freezes and crashes after firmware update

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Re: 1tb 960 evo 100% windows 10 freezes and crashes after firmware update

Hello @Anonymous

actually, I rolled back the firmware to the version that is on the shipped 960evo model

I still had 1 that I had not updated so I extracted the 2B7QCXE7 firmware and installed it now I have not had one issue since. also to note the pc uptime has been on since 20min after I downgraded the firmware I have done multiple videos renders on adobe and can not get it to crash again

so the problem most definitely is firmware 3B7QCXE7

hopefully, you all can get this worked out and stop denying the customers the fixes I can only imagine how many people are suffering the 100%spikes and the constant pc lockups that dod not even know where the problem is coming from

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello YOURTESTSUBJECT,

If you would like to send in your drives under warranty in order for us to test the drives and repiar or replace them, we can try doing this for you. Please email Samsungmemory@livehelpnow.net and our team members will review your inquiry and create a warranty ticket if needed.

Please note: If there is already a thread or post for your issues or inquiry, do not create a new thread. If you wish to have faster service or immediate assistance please call or email our technical support department.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Re: 1tb 960 evo 100% windows 10 freezes and crashes after firmware update

Hello @Anonymous

actually, I rolled back the firmware to the version that is on the shipped 960evo model

I still had 1 that I had not updated so I extracted the 2B7QCXE7 firmware and installed it now I have not had one issue since. also to note the pc uptime has been on since 20min after I downgraded the firmware I have done multiple videos renders on adobe and can not get it to crash again

so the problem most definitely is firmware 3B7QCXE7

hopefully, you all can get this worked out and stop denying the customers the fixes I can only imagine how many people are suffering the 100%spikes and the constant pc lockups that dod not even know where the problem is coming from

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi YOURTESTSUBJECT,

How did you complete the rollback process? as rolling back firmware on the drive is impossible.

JUMP TO SOLUTION

by tricking the Samsung software into thinking its going from a different version

my system is still doing great I am gonna downgrade the other one tonight 

https://imgur.com/a/yXmYF

MasaMra
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey

Can you please advice on how to rollback.

Thanks

i3v
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@YOURTESTSUBJECTwrote:

by tricking the Samsung software into thinking its going from a different version

Could you please add more details about how to do this?

Cause everyone on this forums is saying that it's impossible, and quick googling explains nothing as well (probably, this topic is the closest)

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@YOURTESTSUBJECT

P
lease provide more details on how the roll back process was completed, As this information may be helpful to other users on the forum.

i3v
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

OK, after few more googling, I've found several interesting posts, describing different approaches to the firmware downgrade task, see here. Not tested myself yet, though.

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi i3v,

Let us know if you find anything interesting, I'd sugest also try a secure erase as well and doing a clean install of windows aftwards, as some users issues were OS related and was solved by the secure erase process. 

Please note: That forcing a firmware update or modifiying any firmware may instantly brick/kill the drive.