JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

2020 Odyssey G9 G-sync not working at 240Hz

(Topic created: 02-02-2021 10:28 AM)
userT75QL6My1k
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Samsung Advertises the 2020 Odyssey G9 (LC49G95TSSNXZA) as G-sync compatible but it is only working with G-sync on 120Hz, not on 240 Hz.

I have a RTX 2080 ti, Monitor running firmware 1005.4 (latest), connected with included DP cable and Nvidia driver 452.06.

Nvidia claims to support G-sync up to 240 hz on Driver 452.06 or newer - https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/

The monitor only works with G-sync in the 120 hz mode. In the 240Hz mode, G-sync is selectable but it's not actually functioning in game or the pendulum demo as tested by the Nvidia G-syn indicator or the monitor's OSD reported refresh rate (stays locked at 240Hz)

Samsung, is there a fix coming for this?? Otherwise the monitor shouldn't be advertised as G-sync compatible, let alone have the label on the product and the box...

userV9UKchV6sZ
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Does anyone here use multiple monitors?  I just found out that one video card can only push out so many pixels.  On my 4 monitors setup, I have to reduce this monitor to 120hz for the other 3 to connect.  Otherwise, nVidia panel asked me to choose which 3 monitors to connect.  And because so much bandwidth was used, some monitors might flicker and go dark if the cable isn't at 100%.

0 Likes
MrLarry
Neutron Star
Options
Monitors and Memory

I recommend having our specialized team take a look at this. Can I have your full model code and serial number via private message?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Samsung_cjLwM4I
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I know your comment is old, But I felt like replying since I was also having similar issues in the past when I was googling and never got a definitive answer for my situation and it might help others. My issues was similar to yours. I have a G9 and a secondary 1080p monitor. When attempting to play games at 240hz in full screen, both monitors would go black and flicker on and off then after several seconds, the system would reboot completely. I only had luck launching source engine games at 240hz. Any other game I tried that was more recent would crash the system. What I decided to test out though was to turn unplug the secondary monitor and this did allow me to run any game at 240hz if the G9 was the only monitor plugged into my RTX 3080. I did however need my 1080p monitor still though for work and it would be annoying to plug and unplug, or disable/enable through nvidia control panel, so what worked for me was actually to add a second Nvidia GT 1030 to drive the 1080p monitor and any other secondary monitor that I would need. Since the 1080p monitor isn't used for gaming the 1030 is more than enough. I did however try a GT 710 and it was just a stuterry mess even just browsing the web and YouTube videos were virtually unwatchable. They became a slide show. and using the 1030 has the added benefit of not needing extra drivers as the RTX 3080 drivers seem to work in conjunction with the 1030. 

0 Likes
userp1mLaX5T0e
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Just a heads up for anyone else in this community who's still hoping to get G-Sync to work with their less than 1 year old TV. I update my TV this AM, and did some testing with my RTX 3090. I've noticed two things:

• With Freesync premium turned on the TV reports Freesync is on but everything on the display is grabled and corrupted. 
  • With normal Freesync, the desktop displays fine and TV  reports Freesync but the Nvidia pendulum demo goes nuts when you run it. It'll flicker as it did before, then show a shifted image like old analog TV's when the h-sync was out of whack. It eventually stablizes but there's tons of tearing so it's not actually working.

I guess you can call that progress, but not really. I will do more testing today, outside of PC mode and report back.

On a side note, I've never seen more worthless release notes for software than Samsungs. It provices 0 specifics. 

user73UNLe8P7G
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory
I appreciate the write up and will be following your updates. I have the same 3090 and q90r and I'm still hoping for an hdmi 2.1 hellmarry
0 Likes
userp1mLaX5T0e
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

I gave up and sold my Q90r at significant loss and bought an LG CX to replace it. I'm not thrilled about wasting the money, but I am beyond thrilled with the TV. This was the first and last Samsung TV I'll ever buy. 

0 Likes
user4XCRMEKClc
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

sorry dude its firware should of waited, got notice today its coming.    Mine right now working 100% 240 and g-sync  new firware 1008.1 update. new card and new nvdidia updates change how it all works.  so firware was in works

0 Likes
user0qlls1zdjY
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I just got the G97T model manufactured in Aug 2020!!! and i can report it continues to have the same issue with gsync not being functional at 240hz. This means if you want to game at 240hz then you need to turn off adaptive sync and miss out on any nvidia feature like RTX Smiley Sad  

WyattNeill
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yeah this info is not accurate at all, I dont think you know what adaptive sync is, it just prevents you from having screen tearing. Adaptive sync has nothing to do with Ray Tracing, and with adaptive sync turned off you will recieve full features of the monitor but occasional screen tearing. Please dont post things like this in the future.

0 Likes
userM6LrFWIbAC
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I today recived email from nvidia. 

Hello,
Samsung today released a firmware update v1008.1 to support 240hz refresh rate on the Samsung Odyssey G9 monitor.  You may download and apply it to your monitor from the URL below: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/FM/202011/20201117132512977/G95T_Firmware.exe

I try this after work, but curiouse, why this is .exe