Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
csmith
Asteroid

27" CHG70 HDR Problem and Firmware question

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

I recently purchased a 27” CHG70 series monitor.  The sticker on the back says it is model C27HG70QQN.  The only game I have with HDR is Battlefield 1 (BF1).  My video card is a Zotac Nvidia 1070 using the latest drivers downloaded from Nvidia.  As best as I can tell, the monitor has the latest firmware (more on this in a bit).  The monitor drivers have been loaded into Windows 10.  It just dawned on me my monitor is currently unregistered.  I will take care of that when I get home today.   The monitor and video card are hooked up using the DisplayPort cable included with the monitor.

I am not convinced my monitor is properly displaying HDR.  In fact, it may intermittently work.  Typically what I get when I play BF1, the screen is either dim or everything appears to have some sort of whitewashed foggy look to it.  I have played with HDR enabled in Windows 10 desktop and with it disabled in Windows 10 desktop.  Regardless of how this is set and what I do with the settings, BF1 appears to be having issues in HDR.

I played with my settings on the monitor and on my computer a couple of nights ago while playing on a dark map in BF1.  The total time I played was about 25-30 minutes.  When I first started playing the map, everything appeared to have the bright, foggy, whitewash to it.  Recall this is a dark map.  After 5 minutes or so of playing and messing with my settings, something happened; I don’t know if I triggered something or whatever it was happened by accident, but the bright foggy look went away.  It was replaced with a beautiful, spectacular image.  For the rest of the time I played this map, everything looked fantastic and what I thought everything should look like.  It was quite breathtaking.  All colors looked vibrant, the dark areas looked deep, dark and the areas lit up by lights look bright and fantastic.

After looking over everything, I think HDR may work intermittently but I’m not sure.  I will say I was not able to reproduce what I saw on the same dark map in BF1.  At this point, every time that map has come up since it has the same bright, whitewashed, fog look about it.

Based on what I’m seeing, it is almost like some backlighting in the monitor is not functioning properly.  I’m looking in the monitor settings and see ‘Lighting’ which can be set on and off.  The manual says this handles the LED lighting on the back of the screen.  I also see ‘Local Dimming’ with the options being Off, Auto, and ON.  I’m wondering if these items are working correctly.

I believe my monitor has the latest firmware on it.  I’m looking at various posts in this forum and around the Internet.  Is there a possible firmware problem here?  I’m not at home now, but I think the firmware I have on my monitor is v1020.0, the version shipped with my monitor.  Funny thing is, when I look on Samsung’s Support site, it actually shows two different Firmware’s to download, v1019.2 and v1020.0 both of which are dated Oct. 12, 2018.  Why are two different firmware versions being listed for download?  Which is the appropriate one?  Can I go back a firmware version and perhaps HDR will function fine?

Samsung, please review, comment and fix this.  If something doesn’t change soon, I’m going to send my monitor back, get my money back, and look at another monitor.

Thanks,

Chris Smith

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: 27" CHG70 HDR Problem and Firmware question

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Sorry, I forgot to include it. Here's the link.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

9 REPLIES 9
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

We are sorry to hear about your experience. We have an article regarding this issue. At last report, Microsoft is releasing a patch to resolve this, but we have not been provided with a release date as yet.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

csmith
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I was wondering where my first post of this went to!  Thanks for responding to this.  Sorry I double posted this.  It was accident as I never saw this first one.

Can you point me to the article regarding this?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

csmith
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the link!  Question: do you think this fix will address what I"m seeing in games, or for my case BF1?

I *think* I have already disabled HDR in Windows 10.  I'll double check that when I go home.

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

From the screenshots I have seen, this seems to be what you are experiencing. Microsoft would have better information on this than we do, since it appears to be a Windows issue.

csmith
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Alright.  Let me go home and double check everything then.  I guess I need to wait for this fix.  Thanks!

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are welcome.

csmith
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello SamsungLou,

Below is a response I left in another thread.  Long story short,  think I solved/stumbled across the solution to my problem.  I wil wait for patch to come out you mention.

I just want to say I'm now loving this monitor and think it is awesome.  Thanks for this!

Chris Smith

--------------

Good Monday to you userXZDUAGTJQv (I assume it is Monday wherever you are....),

I went home and figured it was best to start from scratch with this.  I went into the monitor's menu and did a 'RESET' which is supposed to reset the monitor back to factory defaults.  Once done, put everything esle back to defaults which included making sure Windows was in SDR mode instead of HDR.  Also, I went inside BF1 (my only HDR game) and set everything back to defaults (brightness back to 50% as an example).  I verified was set to HDR10 in the game and redid the HDR calibration inside BF1 such that it was just above the point to where the boxes disappeared (it was cranked up a bit, not sure why...).

Everything appears to be working like a charm now!  Since last Friday, everytime I have fired up BF1 the screens have looked fantastic.  No whitewashed look or anything.  I'm flat out enjoying this monitor.  BF1 looks and feels like a new game.

I'm currently using a Nvidia 1070 with the monitor.  Hopefully, AMD releases a decent vid card in the near future so I can take advantage of FreeSync.  If their next gen, 7nm based card doesn't come out till the 2H of 2019, I'll grab a Vega 64.  I should be able to get one of those cheap.

Thanks again!

usermz9yzP6zne
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@SamsungLou wrote:

Wow, it's been broken since at least June? That's terrible.

I am glad to find out that it's Windows' fault and that my new monitor isn't broken. Hopefully they push out a fix soon.