cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userC7oq2H3Zog
Constellation

2TB 960 PRO Random Freezes, Black Screen, Blue Swirl Of Death, after upgrading firmware

Hello,

My 2TB 960 PRO SSD appears to be causing random freezes (about once per day). This problem has been bugging me for several months now. I have upgraded the firmware to the latest version 4B6QCXP7 as of this writing. I suspect the firmware or a driver interaction problem. The only solution is a hard reboot.

I have tried the following:

1. I have reinstalled a clean version of Windows 10 Pro and updated all drivers.

2. Although I do have the Intel Rapid Storage device driver installed it only comes up in Device Manager under IDE Devices. The UI says the Port was empty. Does not appear to apply here.

Fix SSD freezing on Windows 10

Samsung 850 Evo SSD with Windows 10 randomly freezing and display settings issues

3. This Post appears to be a similar problem, however no new Firmware appears to be made available that fixes the problem or no clear instructions as to how to downgrade have been provided. This problem was reported almost 1 year ago, a firmware fix should be available by now.

1tb 960 evo 100% windows 10 freezes and crashes after firmware update

Any support, fixes or suggestions would be much appreciated.

If I can't resolve the problem I'll be sending the drive back as the device is still under Warranty.

References

New SamSung 960 Firmware Update Might Cause Freezes & Perf Issues

Samsung 960 Pro SSD owners report drive freezes with new firmware

Dell XPS 15 9550

i7 6700HQ @ 2.60 GHZ, 4 Cores

Win10 Pro (Version 1809)

Samsung Firmware Version: 4B6QCXP7

32 GB (Samsung DDR4-2132 (1066 MHz)/M471A2K43BB1-CPB)