cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userWbx4m0JoRz
Asteroid

2TB 970 Evo NVMe M.2 Failed, Stuck in Read-Only

My 2TB 970 Evo NVMe M.2 has failed, Magician says it's health is Critical and it's throwing SMART errors on start-up. As a result, it appears to have gone into Read-Only and I can no longer boot into it.

I installed Windows on a second drive and tried to image and clone the M.2 with no success using Macrium and Acronis. I was finally able to clone the drive using dd-rescue in a Ubuntu environment.

That said, backing up or saving my data is not the issue, it's actually the opposite... I've put in a request for an RMA since the drive is barely a year old.

Unfortunately, because the drive put itself into read-only mode, I cannot delete the data from the failing disk. It has sensitive information on it that prevents me from being able to send it in without first removing the data. I tried to contact Samsung's support via chat and all they said was to use the Secure Erase boot tool available in Magician, which I tried and it failed to erase the data. I've tried formatting it, writing /dev/zero to it, even bought PartedMagic - which also was unable to erase it.

What options do I have? This is a $500+ device that is less than a year old and still under warranty, why would they manufacture the product to lock itself in a manner that I'm seemingly unable to unlock or erase the data. If I refuse to send it to them, they'll refuse to replace the product and I'm out $500. If I send it to them, I risk my own security and breach NDAs. Seems like a catch-22, unless I'm missing something.

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: 2TB 970 Evo NVMe M.2 Failed, Stuck in Read-Only

This is an unfortunate turn of events. Sadly, drives that lose R/W privileges become fixed in the read state. In other words, there's no consumer grade tool that permits users to sidestep this issue. I can't comment on whether manufacturers possess a factory tool for a master reset.

The most you can do is attempt to salvage data, because permission to format was forfeited upon failure. Your drive contains too many bad sectors, so no additional write ops can be executed. In a sense, this is a safety mechanism to prevent complete loss of data @userWbx4m0JoRz .

If my reply has aided your issue please consider liking it. If the problem is solved you may pick it as a solution.
userWbx4m0JoRz
Asteroid

If that's truly the case, there needs to be a consumer level override that allows one to bypass this "protection", as you call it... Or, at the very least, a program that can override the lock for the sole purpose of deleting all data.

That said, I do not believe manufacturers should have the authority to lock a device in a manner in which the consumer is unable to unlock it. The only possible exception to this is when the device is not paid in full (such as a cellphone on a payment plan), but even then it's a stretch - cars don't lock themselves if a consumer misses a payment.

I wish to RMA this device, but I cannot send it in knowing that my data is easily accessible by anyone with a cheap $10 M.2 adapter/enclosure. If there is no such tool for consumers, then Samsung needs to offer replacements without having to send in the device in situations where the consumer is unable to securely remove their data due to this "feature."

I'd honestly argue that this is walking a thin line as far as the law is concerned. With GDPR in the EU and all of the topics of privacy surrounding Facebook, a consumer should never be forced to choose between putting their privacy/security at risk and being eligible for a warranty claim.

userQHnN8HMZia
Constellation

I had one of these appear to fail. Getting read-only in disk management.

I found this,

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2011/06/02/my-disk-is-read-only-help/

Shows you how to fix problem using Diskpart in command prompt.

Worked for me.

Good luck.

userWbx4m0JoRz
Asteroid

Thanks for taking the time to respond. However, I had already tried that and it didn't work.

userWbx4m0JoRz
Asteroid

Ok, so... I've since been informed that companies receive different treatment... because:

Companies have different policies and procedures when it comes to sending in drives for RMA procedures. By law they cannot break those policies and the RMA procedure is done differently. We are not denying you the RMA procedure, we simply require you to send in the drive. If you do not wish to send in the the drive for RMA procedure then there is nothing we can do and we cannot offer any more assistance. 

So their "policies" (which aren't necessarily legal bindings unless they're consumer-facing) give companies special access to do an RMA without having to return the drive. Whereas I, a freelance web/app developer and system administrator who signs NDAs (Non-Disclosure Agreements) to then develop a client's product/idea or login to private servers am somehow not inclined to the same level of service despite actually being legally obligated to protect their data.

Why does it matter if I have a fancy letterhead with a registered business' name on it? A legal obligation is a legal obligation, regardless of if the person filing the claim is an individual or representing a company.

The manager of the Memory Support team, Alfredo, absolutely refuses to provide me service. I even offered to compromise, saying I'd desolder the NAND chips and send the rest of the drive in to them. That way they know I'm not lying about the drive being broken because I'd be sending it in, and I'd be able to stay within my obligation to protect the data because I could toss the NAND chips into a grinder.

I mean, I could go register a business as a sole proprietor in my state for $30... but having the business license doesn't change the fact that I already have a legal obligation to protect the data. I'm not asking for anything unreasonable here, I'm asking for this situation to be handled logically. 

@AlfredoSamsung (Not sure if you're the right Alfredo or not, if not... I apologize. If you are, let's get this resolved...)