Original topic:

43" NEO G7 4K 144HZ MONITOR - NEW FIRMWARE UPDATE REQUIRED!!! - MONITOR KEEP FREEZING when switching input source!

(Topic created: 11-26-2023 04:04 PM)
David_21
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi Samsung Support, 

l have been using this monitor for over a month now. I was planning to send you a ticket about my issue like 2 days after my purchase but unfortunately, I did not get a chance to do this. 

The main issue with the monitor is that it keeps on freezing when I switch input source from HDMI to DP, HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 or vice versa. Because I'm using this monitor on both PC and PS5. I have to restart it every time this happens by holding down the power button key on the remote all the time. And there are times I have to unplug this from the power supply in order to reboot coz the monitor is totally frozen. Either of these methods works sometimes but it's just frustrating coz it's going to be a multiple tries in order to back to its normal state.

The picture quality is great. But it seems that the OS of the monitor is somewhat glichy, buggy or laggy. Which I think it requires a patch or another update to fix these issues. 

Your help is greatly appreciated. 

15 Replies
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello! Thank you for reaching out! I would recommend doing a factory reset on the monitor and trying from there to switch sources to see if this still occurs. Also, I would recommend trying to do a manual update of the monitor if you have not done so already. We have also tagged this post for our engineers to see. 

0 Likes
Foxtrot1
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

@Samsung_Moderator if you could take a few moments, I've added to another post which covers pretty much the same issues described here.

I didn't realize I was responding to an EU community post and as such, have a different user id there. Look for the post from Gunpowder.

Can I update the LS43CG700NNXZA with the 1602.4 firmware from the LS43CG702NNXZA? If so, is there a potential fix therein for this issue?

0 Likes
Foxtrot1
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I recently purchased the Odyssey Neo G7 43", the model which supports DP1.4 @ 144Hz, not the one with the upgraded HDMI.

I've been experiencing the same issues as everyone else here, even as far as the support related points. It's very painful to call in and explain these things. In my case, I ended up getting put into the business queue and spoke to a kind person that sort of dug into the issue. Again, my symptoms are the same, DP connected and once the system goes to sleep or locked, the connection to the PC fails to get recognized on awake.

My system: i7 9900K, RTX 2080
Monitors: Samsung 43" Odyssey Neo G7 (DP), LG 32" 4K (DP), EVE 27" Spectrum (DP)
Odyssey Firmware: 1520.9

• Tested with the included DP cable per their request.
    >  System recognized the monitor as a Generic Display @ 60Hz.  Nvidia Control panel was unable to identify the monitor at all.
  • Tested with VESA certified HDMI.
    > System recognized the monitor correctly but was unable to meet the advertised refresh rate due to this model missing the high end HDMI port.
    > System was unable to recognize the switch between the cables at first, it took a couple of minutes for it to realize that it was connected via HDMI.
  • Tested with VESA certified DP1.4 cable (KabelDirekt, not super expensive but they are listed on VESA's cert page).
    > System recognizes the monitor correctly and allows for advertised refresh rates 100Hz, 120Hz and 144Hz to be set without issue.
    > Monitor becomes unresponsive once the system is either locked or the displays are allowed to sleep. Multiple attempts to reset the monitor via power cycle via remote fail. The system typically shows the splash screen indicating no input from the Display Port can be found, counting down from 60s to standby. This screen everyone is familiar with.

I was told during my conversation that the Display Port on Samsung monitors are Passive and the card or system OS needs to tell the monitor it's alive. I really don't have any way to test this but given that even the included cable wasn't capable of identifying the monitor I don't know how much stock I can put into it. Passive ports haven't been a thing for a number of years. I'm very surprised they would go this route on a higher end monitor. I believe DP++ was a thing years back, but not now. Even if I were to go this route, you CANNOT find an adapter that supports 4k at anything over 60Hz.

Furthermore, if this were the case, it should certainly be declared somewhere on the support page or FAQ's. I bought the monitor for DP @ 144Hz, not for it to work once and then need to reboot my machine each time I come back to it.

I've seen other reddit posts indicating that the DP is being set with a Deep Sleep mode on these units but I couldn't get any confirmation on this from my conversation. I'm seeing multiple conversations going around about this issue though. In some cases, a solution was an update to the monitor (Samsung) firmware. I saw this issue before and after updating the firmware.

I'm expecting a call back from their engineering dept once they look into it a bit more. I hope to have some additional info on it soon. I'll update with a video illustrating my issue soon just for documentation purposes.

0 Likes
Foxtrot1
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

So it looks like the DP is not properly sending an EDID and once it goes to sleep, a GPU is unable to instantiate the connection because it doesn't know what it is. This is absurd. Also, if I were to even entertain going with an Active cable, you cannot find anything that supports DP1.4 @ 120Hz (which btw, is what the manual claims is the native resolution/refresh rate).

I really believe this display was clearly not intended to be used as a PC monitor via Display Port. I feel like this is a bit of false advertising. The unit didn't even come with an HDMI cable so definitely it's intended to be connected via DP. Mind you, again, the INCLUDED DP cable failed to negotiate to the point the GPU was unable to even recognize the monitor type. It just said Generic Display @ 60Hz. I'm really kind of stumped.

I'm not very hopeful that they will be releasing any kind of firmware update to fix it but maybe.

Shortly after my call with the Business team at Samsung, I got a call from an EVGA engineer and we went on to troubleshoot the issue. They have a method which is used to sort of force detection of TV like displays and even that doesn't work.

The attached image illustrates where to find the setting. Since I'm connected via HDMI @ 60Hz, it's not selected. To enable, click the Rigorous Display Detection option. That will enable the Force TV detection and you can try to reboot the system. I found that once I clicked the button, the item below it had been selected but the option to reboot was still greyed out.

I'll be calling in to convey this new info but I wanted to add some additional details here for anyone else having problems.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 083114.png

0 Likes
David_21
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi Samsung, 

Coming back to my original post.

I have updated the firmware from 1520 to 1602. Well, this is a good update. felt some improvements on this update. Interface became responsive and somehow improved the input switch delays. But still, there are times that it still keeps frozen that I still have to reboot the unit by pressing down the power button. 

Today, I found this new update version 1603 which was released December 2023. Due to the excitement, I have downloaded and updated the firmware immediately. After the update to 1603, all the issues came back! Interface is slow again, frozen again, and input switch delay is back! I have to reboot the unit more frequently again! It seems like it went back to version 1520.

Samsung, this is absurd. When are you going to fix this permanently?? Is there a way that I can return this? or replace this with a different unit instead? I don't care if I pay extra anymore. Looks like this is the only way to fix this issue of mine. For a $1000 price tag, this unit does not feel genuine. And this is affecting your brand Samsung. This should have been a recall unit.

Please advise. 

0 Likes
David_21
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

THIS HAS BEEN FROZEN FOR THE LAST HALF AN HOUR....AND THIS IS AFTER THE NEW UPDATE VERSION 1603. THE NEW UPDATE MADE THIS WORST!

I'M SORRY BUT THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING SAMSUNG. 

David_21_0-1702773133007.png

0 Likes
DarwinIsmaiel
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same problem with the hdmi 2. It seems there is something wrong with the software. I experienced it  a day ago. I had been using hdmi 2 connection for my PC for several months until it broke that day. Now I can't connect my pc through hdmi 2 port.  I did check the hdmi connection by using the device care but it didn't work. Checked the history, it showed the connection 720p/60i. It's so weird.

0 Likes
useryfAPscYih9
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Guys,

I bought one of these screens very recently and I'm following this post with great interest.

Im still within my return window and strongly contemplating throwing the screen back at Samsung.

For what its worth I had a 49" Odyssey screen a couple of years ago that had very simile issues, so its my guess that its not just this screen. THat said it did start to behave after Samsung released several firmware updates.

Thank you all for continuing to post your experiences to other users!

0 Likes
David_21
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,

This will depends on how fast Samsung will release their updates to fix the previous updates. But it seems this is where they fail mostly on this regards.  In which the reason I have missed my return window unfortunately. I may have been very patient waiting for the firmware update,  But now it seems I’m losing hope with Samsung. If you ask me if I only have a chance to return this unit, I WILL. 
Be advised, there are better brands than Samsung at more reasonable price and better quality. 

0 Likes