cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userrZGaoNieNb
Constellation

830 SSD: "This drive is not supported" in Magician

I bought a Samsung 830 SSD from ebay, the world's biggest garage sale. I have a laptop running Windows 10 on a Samsung 850 Pro, so I tried to update the firmware on the 830 using Magician. However, Magician displayed a message "This drve is not supported." That could mean one of two things. First, my 830 is counterfeit. Or second, it is so old that Magician will only display basic information. Anyone know which is true?

A follow-on question: if an SSD is counterfeit, what would Magician say about it?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 830 SSD: "This drive is not supported" in Magician

Is the 830 connected to a non raid native sata 3 port in the laptop?

userrZGaoNieNb
Constellation

Oops, sorry, I should have mentioned that. It is connected via internal SATA (it's an old -- six years -- laptop which only has one internal SATA connection). BIOS is set to SATA III.

I have an update. I burned a CD-R with 830 firmware downloaded from Samsung's website. I was informed that the drive is not supported.

Also, I can access the drive via Linux, as I was able to do a "dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdX" for a few seconds to eliminate any partition table. I installed Linux Mint and it thinks the SSD is a Samsung 830.

Forgot to mention, Magician needs an internet connection to function properly.