cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userrZGaoNieNb
Asteroid

830 freezes

JUMP TO SOLUTION
I bought an 830 128 GB from ebay. SMART said it had been used for slightly over one year, so it's not a spring chicken. I tried to install current firmware, but both the utility and Magician said it is an unsupported device. Samsung support declined to assist. I installed Linux Mint Cinnamon on it via an external enclosure. I first used an Inateck FE2002, but every now and then the system would freeze. I swapped cables, but the freezing continued. I swapped external enclosures, to a Vantec NST-266S3-BK, but the freezing continued. So it's almost certainly the 830, as I have other Linux systems running on this same laptop, in different enclosures, with no freezing (Crucial and Intel SSDs). And by the way, in between the above, I wiped the drive via "shred -vn 1 /dev/sdx" which writes random data to every cell, so there's no data remaining from its previous life. Before I recycle it and write the SSD off as a learning experience, any suggestions?
1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
userrZGaoNieNb
Asteroid

Re: 830 freezes

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Arch's webpage for "Solid state drive/Memory cell clearing" specifically mentions a series of hdparm commands to secure-erase SSDs:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drive/Memory_cell_clearing

4 REPLIES 4
The_Nephilim
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

have you tried a nvm secure wipe? you should not write to the drive like you did you can but no need to just use secure nvm wipe..

it wipes the drive clean and restores it to like when it was factory fresh.. I would try that, parted magic has nvm secure wipe.. not sure where else you can get it.. but some motherboards support secure wipe..

that is the reccomended way to wipe an ssd..

userrZGaoNieNb
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the reply.

I'm familiar with Parted Magic. Its secure erase is merely a front-end for a wipe using hdparm. I always do a secure erase with hdparm, but in this case it did not stop the freezing.

I think the drive is either counterfeit or defective, as I cannot update the firmware.

The_Nephilim
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Well I looked up hdharm that is for HDD's I am refering to the NVM secure wipe which takes about 5 seconds to toally erase and reset the drive for SSD's.. It does not write zeros to the drive it resets it back to zeros..

Either way if you think the drive is bogus just smash it with a hammer and go buy a real drive..

userrZGaoNieNb
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Arch's webpage for "Solid state drive/Memory cell clearing" specifically mentions a series of hdparm commands to secure-erase SSDs:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drive/Memory_cell_clearing