Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
userQyPJAVhFDH
Constellation

860 EVO 500GB This Drive is Not Supported

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi, just got an 860 EVO. Plugged in via external USB connection. Able to see the drive/volume in Windows.

Magician 5.2 showed 'This drive is not supported'

Magician 4.97 shows this (image).[How do you attach image to this post?]

How can I clone my current system drive unto the new drive that I just purchased?

Are there are any guides somewhere for this? I did not have this much trouble with a different manufactuer and though it would be just as painless with Samsung.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: 860 EVO 500GB This Drive is Not Supported

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hello userQyPJAVhFDH,

If you're using the Samsung Magician for cloning, you are using the wrong software. Please download the Samsung Data Migration software for cloning. The Samsung Magician will not work with your drive if it not connected internally directly into the motherboard.

To download the Data Migration Software visit: www.samsung.com/samsungssd
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hello userQyPJAVhFDH,

If you're using the Samsung Magician for cloning, you are using the wrong software. Please download the Samsung Data Migration software for cloning. The Samsung Magician will not work with your drive if it not connected internally directly into the motherboard.

To download the Data Migration Software visit: www.samsung.com/samsungssd
userQyPJAVhFDH
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thank you very much, that solved the issue and might be the solution for many other people that were having a similar issue with their drives not being recognized.

That is to use "Samsung Data Migration" as opposed to "Samsung Magician" for cloning.

userXUJCzrP0yq
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Adding to this post as I have the same SSD and am having a similar issue. I am using the Data Migration software, but the laptop (which runs Windows 10 currently) does not even recognize that the SSD is plugged in. The SATA cable has power and the USB drive works, but the computer acts like the SSD is not even there. I have two brand new 860 EVOs and neither one is recognized. What am I missing?

Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

For assistance with your SSD migration, please call 800-726-7864 and request Memory and Storage from the menu.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

userXUJCzrP0yq
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks for the number. I called, but they were not able to help. Said both of my drives might be bad and to return them. This is highly doubtful as I purchased them from two different sellers on Amazon.com (one being Amazon itself), but I'll try exchanging them and see. Smiley Indifferent

userXUJCzrP0yq
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So, I received a new SSD and reattempted the connection. Again nothing. I took apart the laptop and directly plugged in the SSD, and it is detected. But without Windows on it, I cannot boot with it. And I cannot put Windows on it without it being detected when plugged in externally. I also tested the SATA to USB cable with the HDD I had taken out and it is in working order as well. HELP!!!

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hi userXUJCzrP0yq,
The issue is probably that the adapter you are using is either older than the SSD itself or is incompatible. SSDs are a bit more complicated than HDDs, an SSD can be incompatible with certain adapters. Unfortunately, there is no way to guarantee compatibility with any third party adapter. Can you let us know if the drive shows under device manager to make sure your system is truly not seeing the drive?
usergP0vyNcz6S
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Received mine today, was not recognized in windows because Samsung does not initilize these drives before shiping. Selected "This PC" in explorer, then "manage", then "disk manager". Disk now shows as needing initilzing. After initlizing/formating all is well.

usergkBERrcOJL
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You have to go to the Microsoft website and look for windows media creation tool.

You will need a usb stick with 9gb free space and you will boot from that drive.

That will install win10 for you on your new ssd.Good luck.