cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usertbq92BXrmf
Asteroid

860 EVO is not supported by Magician even though new buyers reminded to d/l Magician

Just installed Magician as per Samsung's instructions.

Like others here, I'm confused.  Yes, I was able to install an 860 EVO (to replace system hard drives) in a laptop and mini tower, SATA version (not m2) under Win 10 Pro 1909.  Works fine.  But all that works in Magician - basic drive info and Performance Benchmark.  According to the card that comes with the SSD, it should also check drive health and more.  But whatever you try to get into, even SMART, either has no results or is 'not supported'.  Not even SMART?  SMART is supported by pretty much everything out there but not by Samsung on an 860 EVO?  Also not supported - diagnostic scan, over provisioning, performance optimization.  

According to the HD Tune 2.55 utility (as basic and solid as you can get in a drive utility), the drive supports SMART.  But Magician can't find the SMART data for the 860 EVO - but it can find it for my WDC data drive.  But HD Tune can see the SMART data for my 860 EVO and it's pretty old.

So what's the problem here?  Why doesn't Samsung's SSD support utility not support the drives that Samsung tells you to use it for?  Or is it just the 860 EVO?

3 REPLIES 3

Re: 860 EVO is not supported by Magician even though new buyers reminded to d/l Magician

Hi usertbq92BXrmf,

The features in Samsung Magician that you have mentioned should work fine with the 860 EVO as most of them work with even the older models like the 850 Series drives. Can you send a screenshot or picture of what shows up under "SMART" data and the "Drive Details" section of Samsung Magician?

usertbq92BXrmf
Asteroid

Re: 860 EVO is not supported by Magician even though new buyers reminded to d/l Magician

My message did not seem to post.  So the tool works on some PC's, not others.  On the PC where it doesn't work, HDTUNE works correctly to get the same data and to run a benchmark.  All Magician says is either nothing, or that it's not compatible.

Highlighted

Hi usertbq92BXrmf,

The issue may be the storage drives, but in order to help figure that out, we would need pictures of the Samsung Magician and if possible, the device manager and what drives show up there for the storage controllers of the motherboard.