Original topic:

860 QVO extremely slow write speeds

(Topic created: 10-24-2022 06:59 PM)
sorka
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

1 TB 860 with 313 GB. Reads in the 500 MB/s range but only writes 84 MB/s.

Trim is enabled. Blue sata connector 6 GB/s. 

860Dashboard.JPG

Swapped multiple good cables. No difference. 

Bought new 870 EVO, migrated data, and did same benchmark. The 870 is performing on writes the way the 860 used to.  No settings changed. Trim still enabled etc. 

Everything else is equal except the two drives. The 860 firmware was out of date so I updated that incase there was a windows driver update of some sort requiring the 860 be on latest in case something was changed in windows that required a firmware update. No difference.

870 dashboard:

870dash.JPG

Plugged 860 back in and repeated test. Same results.  The only conclusion I can come to is that the write speeds of the 860 decreased catastrophically due to age but it shouldn't be this slow.

19 Replies
Charkatak
Neutron Star
Options
Monitors and Memory
Does your PC have windows driver or Samsung NVME one? Search online and see if Samsung driver is available. I own 960 Evo 1TB M.2 card used in a PCI adapter and write speeds are ~ 2500 MB/s

0 Likes
sorka
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

This is a SATA connector, not PCI. 

The point is that the 860 USED to have the same write speeds as the 870 that I just installed now does. No other differences except the drive itself. 

Why is the 860 now so slow? It's literally 85% slower than it should be and the 870 installed on the same sata connector with the same cable is exactly the speed it should be.

Charkatak
Neutron Star
Options
Monitors and Memory
Have you tried to Defrag the drive? Maybe it is fragmented. Do you know if your machine has Intel Rapid storage software installed?

0 Likes
sorka
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

I do not have Intel RST nor do I have a RAID array.

When I run defrag, it says something like trim running and then completes in about 10 seconds. Makes no difference. One of the first things I tried. 

Again, the new 870 has the expected write speed. The only difference here is the drives themselves and the slow drive USED to have the same write speed. No changes have been made. It became slow all on it's own.

0 Likes
Charkatak
Neutron Star
Options
Monitors and Memory
Do you have the same data on both drives? Meaning you cloned data from old to new one? I wonder if both of your drives were formatted the same (NTFS)

0 Likes
sorka
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yes. Cloned. Again, the slow drive USED to be just as fast and has not had any changes to it's settings since it was fast.

0 Likes
Charkatak
Neutron Star
Options
Monitors and Memory
Since some time passed after you got a new drive, possibly windows had some updates to the OS or drivers which could of altered the write speed of your old drive. It is weird as I haven't experienced this "anamoly" 🙂

0 Likes
sorka
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

No time passed. I got the new drive a few days a ago, cloned it, and tested the new drive and then retested the old drive. No difference in images and haven't actually installed any windows updates since.

0 Likes
sorka
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

At this point I'm going to assume that these drives just eventually become slow long before the the end of their expected lifespan. As such, I'm assuming this will happen to the 870 eventually, so I'm going to remove it, re-install the old drive, and then find a new brand that hopefully won't have this problem and never buy a Samsung SSD again. Done with them.

0 Likes