Original topic:

870 Evo Boot Issue Firmware Upgrade

(Topic created: 08-14-2021 01:56 AM)
SiliconRage
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am running a brand new 500gb 870 Evo in a desktop home server. I am running Windows Server 2019. The system is fully functional and installed windows and all software and drivers just fine. I am also running the drive in AHCI mode. Shortly after completing the software setup on the server the 870 Evo refuses to boot into windows server. I know it's the 870 Evo as every other component has tested good and I have a brand new Evga 750w gold psu. From what I've read this drive needs a firmware update. Does anybody know or have information on when Samsung might release a new firmware for this drive? Thanks in advance! 

0 Likes
3 Replies
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Has the 870 booted on its' own since you partitioned and formatted it?

0 Likes
SiliconRage
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory
Yes several times. I have rolled back several updates in windows server that might have caused the issue. My 860 evo worked just fine, it's this 870 evo!
0 Likes
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello user4WqAhjoXUR,

The 870 EVO SSDs just released a few months ago, so there's no information on when a new update would release, however, windows sever is not an OS that Samsung officially supports for the standard consumer drives so don't know if a firmware update would help in your current environment. The 860 EVO and 870 EVO are very similar drives, so wouldn't think this is a compatibility issues, especially if it has worked already. Have you tried putting a normal copy of windows on the drives to see if it fails in that case too? Or maybe try having it repair or replaced under warranty if you got it not too long ago

0 Likes