Original topic:

870 QVO 4TB exFat not supported by Magician 6.3 and unrecognized by MacBook Pro

(Topic created: 09-16-2021 03:03 PM)
userrOt35kuXro
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi guys,

I've got an External SSD QVO 870 4TB which is formatted as exFat to work on both Windows and MacOSX. On both Windows 10 as well as MacOS Mojave it doesn't work as expected.

Windows 10 issue: "not supported" by Magician 6.3.0

However, it faces problems on my Windows computer as well, because it receives the "not supported" message by the Magician 6.3.0 software, which should support the 870 QVO. I reinstalled Magician 6.3.0 multiple times, restarted my computer multiple times, without any success. On Windows, however, I am able to read & write on the disk via Windows.

Apparently I use the firmware SQV0, however, there is little information to be found about what the current firmware should be, it is only mentioned that it should be updated via Magician 6.3.0, but the software doesn't allow it to be updated (not sure if necessary of course, because it is a new device).

Also via Device Manager the drivers work as they are supposed to: ‘The best drivers for your device are already installed.’

And I've changed Windows 10 from IDE towards AIHC, also without any success.

When I formatted my disk back to NTFS as a try-out, it remained "not supported".

MacBook Pro issue: unrecognized by Disk Utility

Whenever I connect my 870 QVO via SATA to USB 3.0, into a USB 3.0 port on my MacBook Pro Late 2013 with macOS Mojave Version 10.14.6 freshly installed, it doesn't give any sign of being alive. No pop-up, and it isn't showing up anywhere, not even at Disk Utility.

USB Cable works fine, because it works on other devices.
USB Port also works fine with other things, USB-sticks / other SSD's and what not.
Disk Utility's 'view all' only views the main Apple SSD 500GB
Restarting doesn't do anything, restarting with Cmd + Option + P + R neither.
Checking the drivers of the SSD via Windows, it says: ‘The best drivers for your device are already installed.’
SMC Reset didn't do anything.

What can I do to make Magician support it?
What can I do to make my MacBook Pro recognize it?

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Igor

0 Likes
1 Reply
userrOt35kuXro
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

UPDATE:

I have formatted the disk to HFS+ and Disk Utility on the MacBook still doesn't recognize it. What is going on here?

0 Likes