cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Asteroid

960 Evo SSD performing poorly

960 Evo Performing poorly in custom build.

I have a I7-7700K mounted on a Maximus IX Hero, 32 G Corsair Ram, GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics Card, Bios ver 1301, Windows 10 Pro. 

I've been noticing windows slowing down dramatically. I keep getting notices "working on it", or programs telling me they're not responding because it's taking so long.  I ran "Userbenchmark" and was told the Samsung NVMe 500 g, and Corsair Ram were way under performing. I set the Ram to XMP in the Bios which helped. But the NVMe speed still stinks bad. All indicators say the system is cool and is not throttling as far as I can tell. I made sure I had the latest Samsung Driver and used their "Magician" with no luck. Still way underperforms. And not just by the utils. In actual usage. Way slower than it used to be.

Could there be something going on with the board? How can I check. Could the NVMe drive be giving up the ghost but just not showing it in the tests? This is frustrating. I use the computer for video editing and this problem has made the system unusable.

Any Help would be appreciated. I have provided some pictures of various test results. Thx!

960 Evo Bench Test.JPG960 EV Samsung Magician Report.JPG960 Evo up close.jpg960 NVMe Crystal Disk Test.JPG

4 REPLIES 4

Re: 960 Evo SSD performing poorly

Is it possible that during the build something may have been damaged? If software troubleshooting isn't helping, then I would try remounting the RAM sticks first. If you still have trouble, try dismounting the SSD and remounting it.. If you aren't too computer savvy hardware wise, be very careful as it can make things worse.
Constellation

@MikeSapienza wrote:
Is it possible that during the build something may have been damaged? If software troubleshooting isn't helping, then I would try remounting the RAM sticks first. If you still have trouble, try dismounting the SSD and remounting it.. If you aren't too computer savvy hardware wise, be very careful as it can make things worse.

I'm reasonably good with computers. I built this one. When I first put it together a couple of years ago it was very fast. It's only been over the last few months that things have really gone downhill. I took the SSD out a month or so ago and remounted it with no improvement.  The Ram is working better since I changed it to XMP in the bios setup. But the 960 evo isn't. It's the limiting factor now. 

Thanks for trying to help... 

It could be that the SSD is ready to fail. They typically go faster than a standard hard drive. Slowness is typically one of the symptoms, especially if everything else is working properly. I will paste a link to an article that gets into more detail of troubleshooting an SSD.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/ssd-troubleshooting/
Asteroid

@MikeSapienza wrote:
It could be that the SSD is ready to fail. They typically go faster than a standard hard drive. Slowness is typically one of the symptoms, especially if everything else is working properly. I will paste a link to an article that gets into more detail of troubleshooting an SSD.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/ssd-troubleshooting/

Thanks for the link. While it was mainly for non NVMe SSD's,  it did have a few good suggestions I might try. Namely, running Windows in Safe Mode in order to see if it is Windows itself that is causing the problems.  

Thanks again!