JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

970 EVO Plus High Temperature

(Topic created on: 1/27/21 9:53 PM)
userEWwSkCH2Rj
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I recently got a 970 Evo Plus and put it in my case. While idle, the temperatures are around 55c-60c and Samsung Magician says these temperatures are too high. When I do a benchmark, the temperatures exceed the 70c limit. I have decent airflow in my case but I do not have a heatsink on the SSD. Do I need a heatsink? Are these temperatures normal and will these temperatures damage my SSD?

Thank you

image.png

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello userEWwSkCH2R,

The Samsung NVMe SSDs usually throttle at around 75C. Based off of your discrption, it means you may see lower performance, if it reaches those temperatures, however this does not mean the drive will fail. it just not best to run it at thoose temperatures all the time. Before trying a heat sink, I'd try looking for better air flow, such as better fans or placing the drive away from things like GPUs, if possible.  If not possible, you can try a heat sink, but make sure not to damage or lose the label on the drive just in case it is needed for warranty purposes in the future. 

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello userEWwSkCH2R,

The Samsung NVMe SSDs usually throttle at around 75C. Based off of your discrption, it means you may see lower performance, if it reaches those temperatures, however this does not mean the drive will fail. it just not best to run it at thoose temperatures all the time. Before trying a heat sink, I'd try looking for better air flow, such as better fans or placing the drive away from things like GPUs, if possible.  If not possible, you can try a heat sink, but make sure not to damage or lose the label on the drive just in case it is needed for warranty purposes in the future. 

View solution in context

userEWwSkCH2Rj
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Ok thank you so much, I put the SSD in a different spot and I tried putting on a heatsink. The heatsink works well and my idle temperatures are somewhere in the high 40s which is much better than the previous 60c idle temperature. Thank you so much for your help.image.png

0 Likes