Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userDSOCtWR0dM
Constellation

970 EVO Problem

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey dear tech-bros,

I bought a 970 EVO M.2 NVMe PCI-E SSD 500GB and I've got questions/concerns regarding it. 

1) Can I use it as storage? All I see are topics about using it as a boot device. I'd like to use mine just for storage, because I don't want to reinstal w10 from my older SSD.
2) It doesn't show in w10. So my older SATA SSD is my booting device and I can see that my new Samsung EVO is third boot option on BIOS, so there is that. But EVO doesn't show on w10 and no drivers can be installed because of it. I read that you need to change some BIOS SATA settings. So I configured my SATA settings and switched it to RAID. This results in that my PC doesn't boot anymore, supposedly because it doesn't recognize my old SSD anymore. 
3) I don't have the screw to tighten the card to my motherboard. There are like these really, really tiny screws that go into the motherboard and there is none in my mobo/ssd boxes. Don't know where to get spare ones.

I'd really appreciate if somebody can help me with these. Thank you.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 970 EVO Problem

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi userDSOCtWR0dM,

Here are the answers to your questions.
1. Yes, it can be used as a storage drive. You must initialize the drive within your windows disk management and format it there before windows can see it as a normal drive in your file explorer. You do not need drivers or our software for this.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/overview-of-disk-management
2. You do not need to make any changes in the bios, just change everything back to what it was, boot into your OS drive, go into windows disk management, and follow the guide on microsoft's website above.
3. M.2 drives use m2x3mm screws, they can be purchased through Amazon or most computer hardware retailers.

4 REPLIES 4

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi userDSOCtWR0dM,

Here are the answers to your questions.
1. Yes, it can be used as a storage drive. You must initialize the drive within your windows disk management and format it there before windows can see it as a normal drive in your file explorer. You do not need drivers or our software for this.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/storage/disk-management/overview-of-disk-management
2. You do not need to make any changes in the bios, just change everything back to what it was, boot into your OS drive, go into windows disk management, and follow the guide on microsoft's website above.
3. M.2 drives use m2x3mm screws, they can be purchased through Amazon or most computer hardware retailers.

userDSOCtWR0dM
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Thank you!

That worked. I had to reset my BIOS settings from RAID to the other option. Then I had to install the SSD in windows disk management and everything worked well.
userbMPOMfG9iu
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

My problem is becaose i cant boot system (BIOS dont see SSD drive EVO 970 plus)

Win 10 pro reject install OS to SSD drive EVO 970 plus)...

I apdate latest version of BIOS F5 from Gigabyte (steel dont see SSD drive EVO 970 plus).

my MB is GA-EG41MF-US2H, RAM 4GB

my CPU Intel E7500, 2,93Mhz

Please help... TY

vladimir

user0yf9ZBO9tN
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I recently purchsed a 1tb 970 m.2 and what you said above makes sense, though with this brand new laptop even under disk managment it does not show up for me to be able to format it. what would one do then?  my laptop is a MSI Ps63 Morden 08