JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

970 EVO not compatible with Magician 5.2?

(Topic created: 05-29-2018 12:08 PM)
user4bxQCJT2vK
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hey,

Bought a 970EVO and doing some pre-deployment testing of iEEE1667 encryption.  I am also having bad luck with our Intel 7600p drives doing this - another story.

Anyway, I have the drive installed on a PC with nvme slot and Magician 5.2 is telling me it is not supported.  Anyone else got the 970EVO to work with their Magician software?  I need Magician to enable edrive capability for bitlocker hardware encryption (unless Samsung had a CLI tool for doing this?).  

I did download the Samsung nvme 3.0 driver and installed with same result.

I did call Samsung support which was knowledgable, but did not offer anything useful.

Thanks for any help.

25 Replies
Eaton
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Samsung Magician 5.3 supports the new drives, but it strangely hasn't been released pubicly yet.Smiley Indifferent

0 Likes
userPM944HmrfK
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Magician 5.2 working with 970 EVO for me on Asus X99-A II motherboard.

0 Likes
userIxGjOpPXVU
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

5.2 worked for me initially. I optimized with it, over provisioned.  But--now it says "UNKNOWN DRIVE". Reinstalled, refreshed, nothing.

0 Likes
Kbird
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

@userPM944HmrfK wrote:

Magician 5.2 working with 970 EVO for me on Asus X99-A II motherboard.

Same MB and SM 5.2.1 working here on a new EVO970 with 1B2QEXE7  FW

0 Likes
userZ8INFyFeJr
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

It doesn't inspire much confidence that the company's own disk tool has so much trouble recognizing its own drives.

Evo 970, Gigabyte Gaming 5 mother board.  Drive seems to work fine in Windows and everywhere else, but Magician sees it as "unsupported".

0 Likes
djjuice
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

i had this issue with my 970 pro.

i had to uninstall magician and re-install it for it to show up.

0 Likes
userIxGjOpPXVU
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I reinstalled it several times, same problem. 

0 Likes
Solution
userUjgLM4rMTX
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

If your bios is set to "raid on" then you must change it to "AHCI" in order to install latest version of samsung firmware and get samsung magician to recognize your drive.  If you just change the values in your bios, you will get blue screen of death; you need to do it this way: 

https://triplescomputers.com/blog/uncategorized/solution-switch-windows-10-from-raidide-to-ahci-oper...

This worked very well for me for this issue.  Nothing to do with clearing secure boot keys.

uservvjy8cNyuq
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

In my case the following worked:

1. Switching from RAID to AHCI mode according to your instructions

2. Installing NVME driver from Samsung website