JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

970 Evo Plus Data Migration

(Topic created on: 2/26/21 2:05 PM)
userEDH09R20VT
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Ok, this is absurd, I just bought brand new 970 Evo Plus, bought a brand new external enclosure.

I performed a simple disk format. The computer recognizes it with the drive letter.

I open data migration software, it doesn't recognize it at all. I only recognizes the new 970 as the brand of the enclosure. Since Samsung doesn't make their own enclosure how am I supposed to use the data migration tool? The enclosure brand is Sabrent.

When I go to my windows explorer, go to the new 970 drive and hit properties it shows as Sabrent. I call your help desk, and they say that's why. OKkkkkkk, so what enclosure am I supposed to use? Apparently you don't have an enclosure partner and don't recommend any. Your help desk then suggested I use some third party data migration rather than yours, ok, which data migration software works with 970 and an external enclosure .... OOop, sorry, don't have a recommended third party software!

SO.... let's get this straight... You don't make an external enclosure, but you don't have an enclosure to recommend. Since you don't have an enclosure to recommend, you recommend getting a third party software rather than using your own, but, you don't have a third party software to recommend. The ultimate answer is thanks for buying the drive, go figure out how to clone it ... do I have all that right?? 

0 Likes

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

The Sabrent USB enclosure I looked at on Amazon comes with a free download of Acronis True Image software which is what I personally use for all my drive cloning and backup operations.

I believe Acronis also has a free trial of True Image you can use to clone the drive.

Personally I only buy dual drive laptops so cloning has  never been an issue.  Between the 3 laptops and 2 gaming computers in my house they contain a total of 16 Samsung Sata/NVME SSD's. 

Samsung's simple software was written to use internal drive connections and not as an all in one drive solution for all the oddball configurations some manage to concoct.  That is left to various third party software companies to make a living with.

View solution in context

0 Likes
2 Replies
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello userEDH09R20VT,

From your description, Unfortunately,  it seems the issue, is that the adapter you have, may be using some kind of special interface to show the device as a Sabrient device, and not a Samsung device. The solution to this issue, is to try finding another adapter that will show the drive correctly or to use a third party software. I don't believe they can guarantee that a third party adapter will work, unless they test every third party adapter that gets released every so often.  The best option is to try finding the "simplest" adapter you can find, maybe try finding an adapter that is just a cable, not an enclosure, for example.

Also, If you already have an internal secondary connection for the drive, inside of your computer, you can also migrate your data that way and skip the adapters all together.

0 Likes
Solution
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

The Sabrent USB enclosure I looked at on Amazon comes with a free download of Acronis True Image software which is what I personally use for all my drive cloning and backup operations.

I believe Acronis also has a free trial of True Image you can use to clone the drive.

Personally I only buy dual drive laptops so cloning has  never been an issue.  Between the 3 laptops and 2 gaming computers in my house they contain a total of 16 Samsung Sata/NVME SSD's. 

Samsung's simple software was written to use internal drive connections and not as an all in one drive solution for all the oddball configurations some manage to concoct.  That is left to various third party software companies to make a living with.

View solution in context

0 Likes