Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
usereQkabNXyX3
Asteroid

970 Pro M2: cannot do hardware encrypt

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Problem 1: 

The secure erase USB is MBR, and the Hades Canyon (Intel NUC) doesn't support legacy boot. Had to swap SSD to other computer.

Problem 2: Enabling Device Encryption to get hardware encryption Bitlocker fails to work.

Steps followed: 

Install OS

Install Samsung magician

Set Device Security (Not opal, not class 0, but the last one)

Create Samsung Secure Erase USB

Put USB + SSD in other machine

Secure Erase SSD

Put SSD back

Reinstall Windows

Try enable Bitlocker, get software window (all or used), should be instant.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
djjuice
Cosmic Ray

Re: 970 Pro M2: cannot do hardware encrypt

JUMP TO SOLUTION

so while the 970 supports the hardware encryption, manufactures at the time dont with the nvme drive and will need a future bios update for this to take place.

for the time being you'll have to to use the software encryption method

7 REPLIES 7
djjuice
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

so while the 970 supports the hardware encryption, manufactures at the time dont with the nvme drive and will need a future bios update for this to take place.

for the time being you'll have to to use the software encryption method

usereQkabNXyX3
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks!

userQ3I7iS1L5k
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

so we are in december and these hardware encrypted advertised ssds still cant do hardware encryption like they said. Anyone who managed to fix this and get it to use hardware encryption with bitlocker?Can it even be fixed with some firmware update rather than a motherboard hardware change?

userjI7KwDHFo6
Astronaut

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Apparently someone got it to work with an ASROCK board. See the thread on the 960 PRO about this.
usercvKgsWZDed
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

As I wrote in the 960 Pro thread, hardware encryption using Bitlocker is working fine on my ThinkPad X1 Gen 5 with a 970 Pro.

I suspect that it will work on all ThinkPads of the same and later generations (e.g. T470, X1 Gen 6 etc).

JUMP TO SOLUTION
Hi userQ3I7iS1L5k,

To clear things up, as mentioned by the other users, the drives are capable of hardware encryption. However, if your motherboard does not allow the drive to complete the hardware encryption, then you can't encrypt. The motherboard has to recognize the M.2 drive has being "hardware encryptable" in the first place. Only the BIOS can do this, if your system is not allowing to start the encryption then the BIOS needs to be updated or changed by the manufacturer so that it works. If they can't provide a change, then you must get a motherboard that is known to be able to encrypt M.2 drives.
user96FuTxLchk
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION
hellp everytime i try to use this encryption it gives me Faild to create Bootable USB Device

also is there any way to encrypt the drive useing Opal i dont want to use Bitlocker because it wont allow me to use bualboot