cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FurabioGP
Constellation

970 Pro - Poor Writing Speed - Dell G7

Hi there!

I have a new Dell G7 and I've upgraded it with a Samsung 970 Pro 512GB.

I have been looking for several websites, samsung community, tom's hardware and etc., but I just can't find a solution for my poor writing speeds.

On it's specs, it is said that it has up to 3,500MB/s reading speed and 2,700MB/s writing speed. 

There is what Samsung Magician tells about my storage:

Capturar.JPG

I just can't get any Write speed better than that.

I have the latest firmware intalled on my SSD and on my Dell G7 Bios, I have the latest Samsung Magician installed, I have Windows 10 Pro with all updates available installed, I have the latest Samsung NVMe Controller driver installed, I am using Over Provisioning with the 10% recommended OP set and on device manager > 970 properties > policies the cache option is checked and buffer unchecked. 

Is there anything that can help achieve a better write speed?

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Re: 970 Pro - Poor Writing Speed - Dell G7

Hi FurabioGP,

Please keep in mind that the advertised speeds are an up too value, which means that compared to the average speeds most people get, your drive's performance is normal. However, how much data is currently on your 512gb drive?

FurabioGP
Constellation

Hi Memory Product Expert -1,

I am aware of that, but less then half speed advertised is really lame. I have a 840 Pro and a 850 EVO and both runs even better then the advertised speed. The biggest difference is that both of them are installed on a Desktop and not on a Laptop.

I have 385GB free of 428GB.

Highlighted

I have a 970 Pro in my desktop that is running at 3500 read and 2600 write.

However it is directly connected to a 4ghz I9-7900X CPU and 3644Mhz RAM which can run the 970 at it's max speeds.

In your case the drive is not slowing down your computer,  the computer is slowing down the drive.  Be happy, it still beats a Sata SSD hands down.

Your 840 and 850's are Sata drives which staturate the available bandwidth of around 500MBs quite easily.

FurabioGP
Constellation

@ddaniel51 ,

My laptop has a HyperX Impact 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 2133 memory kit and a Intel Core i5-8300H CPU, both of them can handle just fine the writing speed of a 970 Pro.

Maybe the laptop mobo is the one slowing the system down. Dunno, I have to try 970 Pro with another board to check.