Original topic:

980 PRO can't repair defect sectors

(Topic created on: 4/28/21 11:49 PM)
userAVkeWYMMw4
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi,
I have a 980 PRO which is rather new with ~3 months and has a few defect sectors. Trying to repair them with windows CHKDSK results in complains about having not enough space to replace bad clusters.
Samsung Macician Diagnostic Scan finds the errors but trying to repair them with it results in "Recovery has stopped due to unknown error".
SMART says 97% of the spare ares is still available and no issue with the disk.
Firmware is newest according to Magican.

0 Likes
10 Replies
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

How much free space is there left on the drive?

0 Likes
userAVkeWYMMw4
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

The partition with the errors has 670 GB free. The partitions use the full disk. Should I decrease the partition size?

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

I would try Over Provisioning with Magician and let it settle a few days to see if built in housekeeping takes care of it.

0 Likes
userAVkeWYMMw4
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

The Over Provisioning menu in Magican doesn't allow me to set anything for the disk as all options are grayed out. I also tried to shrink the partition but it said it's necessary to fix the errors with chkdsk first (which doesn't fix them).

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Ouch!  That sounds like ticket time.  Good luck.

I run 13 Samsung 1&2 TB 960's, 970's,  and 980's  between my gamer, the wife's, and a new NAS.  Haven't had a bad sector in the bunch.

0 Likes
userAVkeWYMMw4
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Yeah I guess it will have to be replaced. The strange part is just SMART saying everything is ok and enough remaining spare sectors:
Smart.PNG
But chkdsk and magican not wanting to use them.

0 Likes
Rabstyle
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm in the same boat, in the same time window. I've got backups failing due to CRC check failed on my 980 Pro. Magician detects bad sectors but during recovery fails due to an unknown error.

0 Likes
user7zfqyNWrfy
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same problem here (980 PRO 2TB). Noticed a few unreadable LBAs today, did recently do a firmware update, but the bad blocks might have very well been there before that and I just failed to notice them (all the LBAs belong to unimportant files).

Something is seriously fishy with these SSDs! Hopefully it's just a fw, not hw problem.

0 Likes
user7zfqyNWrfy
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Whoah, running ddrescue on the drive, after many retries, I'm able to rescue the bad blocks and read data from them. That means that this is almost surely faulty flash memory, not some FW issue. :o

0 Likes