Original topic:

980 Pro Firmware 5B2QGXA7

(Topic created: 02-03-2022 08:28 AM)
Jimo2020
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello All!

I've just updated my 980 Pro 500GB to the latest firmware 5B2QGXA7 and I've seen a significant drop in performance compared to the previous firmware.

Has anyone else experienced this?  

Screen shot below of my results, the bottom result is the previous firmware.

J

userWUIlRdgjHK_0-1643905624929.png

0 Likes
4 Replies
userj5g9SD5zEZ
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have a 980 Pro in an Intel Z370 rig so its running at PCIE gen-3 speed. I updated the firmware to 5B2QGXA7 and ran the Samsung performance benchmarks. Compared to earlier runs I saw slight reductions in all 4 scores. I have another 980 Pro in a Ryzen X570 rig that I have not updated yet. I am now hesitant to do so but probably will. I will run some before and after benchmarks  and post the results here. I don't like that once you update the firmware, there is no going back. And they tell you nothing about what is different about the new firmware.

0 Likes
userqXKK4rYcYm
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I've got +8% on random reads, no change in all other scores; 980 Pro 2TB so I'm not sure the controller is identical to Jimo2020's. That's on Windows 11, Asus TUF Gaming X570-PRO WIFI II, Ryzen 5600X. Unfortunately the random write performance is still in the toilet for Windows 11, but that's on Microsoft, it seems they're taking their sweet time fixing this major regression for users with fast PCIe4 NVMe SSDs. 😞

Notice that small performance differences like 1-2% up or down are just noise; I/O benchmarks in general are very difficult to do with high precision. I'm not even sure that the 8% boost I've got in this last test is attributed to the firmware update because my last run was 1,5 month old so maybe it was some Windows update or some tweaking in motherboard/overclocking settings, I should have tested immediately before applying the update.

Screenshot 2022-02-06 112853.png

0 Likes
userlQ3kH5d5QL
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Since the latest firmware my 1tb 980 pro refuses to do anything else except being a storage drive. When ever i try run a game or app from it, it crashes the game or app. My system specs are, Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi, 32gb ram, Ryzen 5900x, Soundblaster AE7, Aorus Exteme GTX 1080Ti, 1 x 1tb 860 evo, 1x 500gb 960 evo m.2 nvme, 1 x 1tb 980 Pro m.2 nvme, 2 x 4tb seagate barracuda. Currently using Windows 11, did the same thing on windows 10.

Samsung pleased release an in house driver for it, so i don't have to use microsoft's trash driver.

0 Likes
userdGu7tnbYaE
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Had a similar issue. Apps would crash within minutes of running them from my 980 Pro 2TB. RMA fixed it.

0 Likes