cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
userozy5YXLa1o
Constellation

AHCI or Intel RST mode for my 970 PRO

I just bought a new laptop (Lenovo P52) and am looking for opinions on which mode to use in the BIOS to get maximum performance (AHCI or Intel RST mode) for my 970 PRO.  I use the laptop for programming in Android, vb.net, c++ and do some gaming too.  I have installed Windows 10 from scratch using both modes and used CrystalDisk and Samsung Magician to do a benchmark to see what was best and it turn out to be a little inconclusive.  Here are the pictures:

This is with BIOS set to AHCI mode:

This is with BIOS set to Intel RST mode (looking at the 970 drive scores, not the 960, but a nice comparison for people debating on getting a 970 or 960):

You can see that the RST mode did Sequential reads at 3,460 but only got 3,188 in AHCI mode, so a spread of almost 300MB/s.  But looking at the Random (IOPS) the AHCI mode crushed the RST mode with a 345,214 read IOPS as compared to the RST mode of only 110,351.

Any input would be great on which mode to choose.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: AHCI or Intel RST mode for my 970 PRO

Personally I prefer to run AHCI on my laptops and gaming machines.  My main gamer has 8 Samsung NVME drives in it.  Asus Rampage VI Apex with Asus Hyper M.2 X16 card.

userozy5YXLa1o
Constellation

Thanks ddaniel51.  DId you ever do what I did and test speeds with benchmark apps?  Besides the Magician I also ran CrystalDiskMark, it did'nt show as much of a gain but there was some.

I have a combination of 960 Pro 1 & 2 TB, 970 Pro 1 TB, and 970 EVO 2 TB.  As long as they all have pcie x4 connections I'm not concerned with their various performances.  They are so bloody fast I can't keep up with them anyway.