cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Constellation

Anyone using a Samsung ultra wide with macOS

Hi

I’m thinking of buying an ultrawide curved monitor and was looking at the Samsung 49” 3840x1080 monitor (LC49J890DKU).

However, the Samsung website says this is Windows only - I realise that it shouldn’t make any difference, as I only want it as a monitor, but I just wanted to check if anyone is powering this monitor successfully from a mac, ideally a 2020 Macbook Air.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Galaxy

Re: Anyone using a Samsung ultra wide with macOS

Macs are very picky when it  comes to external displays unlike a Windows box with a suitable CPU and Graphics card.

From Red round fruit on a  tree for the Air:

"Video Support

Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display at millions of colors and:

One external 6K display with 6016-by-3384 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors, or
One external 5K display with 5120-by-2880 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors, or
Up to two external 4K displays with 4096-by-2304 resolution at 60Hz at millions of colors

Thunderbolt 3 digital video output

Native DisplayPort output over USB‑C

VGA, HDMI, and Thunderbolt 2 output using adapters (sold separately)"

Red round fruit  Support will be your  best bet for a definitive answer.

Highlighted
Constellation

Re: Anyone using a Samsung ultra wide with macOS

Hi

Thanks - that text is from the technical specifications on the apple site, but really what I was asking is if anyone on here had used that monitor with a Mac.

Not wanting to appear ignorant but who are red round fruit?

shaun