cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Snaketwod
Asteroid

Bizzare system freezes

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've been trouble shooting my custom build here for about a year. The only symptoms I can go by is the screen flickers, the screen locks up, the audio then loops and finally the whole system is locked up. Sometimes the video comes back, sometimes the video is covered in artifacts, sometimes there simply is no video. It requires a force restart everytime, I got no BSOD dump files, Event viewer only shows that the system was shut down improperly. I've run Mem test several times, no errors, I've run benchmarks and stress programs on both the cpu and gpu with no problems, I've tested the SSD with Samung's magician program with no problems. I've checked the voltages for fluctuations in the 12v, 5v and 3.3v connectors with no notable issues. I've even replaced the entire Motherboard thinking it might be a micro fracture on the board, but the problem persists. It has no obvious triggers, the only way to cause the issue to happen is by sheer luck but because I've usually got youtube running in the background it tends to happen when I'm alseep with it playing or while I'm merely watching it.

After throwing a post up on AMD's forum about it possibly being the graphics card I was asked to replace the DP cord to my monitor and they ran out of idea's from there. If it was the GPU I'd expect an error somewhere stating so, if it was some software related issue I'd expect an error. But not a single dump file, no errors anywhere is rather bizzare and has stifled me from troubleshooting this.

System: Windows 10 64bit
Processor: AMD FX 8350
SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500gb
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 8gbx4
GPU: Radeon R9 390
Motherboard: MSI 970A Gaming Pro Carbon

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Snaketwod
Asteroid

Re: Bizzare system freezes

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After a lengthy trial I've discovered the issue I do believe. I replaced the Sata cable connection the ssd to the Motherboard and decided not to mount it proper in the case as it bends the connection with the cord but instead mount it angled for that extra bit of room. It's been several months, no crashes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Snaketwod,

The issue you are having sounds pretty odd.

Have you tried removing the SSD, installing another drive like an HDD, and seeing if the issue persists when that other drive is installed?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Snaketwod
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I've definitely thought about it now that I have the 2tb hard drive but the trigger for this issue is just so obscure. Because this issue can happen anywhere from today to a month from now, I'd have to be on my other hdd for upwards of 2 months before thinking maybe it did work. When I replaced my motherboard I didn't have a stall out for about a month and a half then I had it happen twice in one day. How long would I have to go handicapping my system on a single, slower drive before I can confidently say I've isolated the problem?

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Snaketwod,

If you like, I can get you in contact with our SSD support team and they can process an RMA for you. Let me know and I'll PM you the details.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Snaketwod
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

After a lengthy trial I've discovered the issue I do believe. I replaced the Sata cable connection the ssd to the Motherboard and decided not to mount it proper in the case as it bends the connection with the cord but instead mount it angled for that extra bit of room. It's been several months, no crashes.

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Snaketwod,

Thanks for the feedback! It definitely helps us diagnose and resolve obscure issues with other Samsung SSD users. Let us know if you ever have any other question or any other comments. Thanks again!