cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Brand new 860 EVO SSD crashes Windows 10 or simply disappears

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I have tried to use the drive as an OS drive (fresh install of Windows 10) and as a plain data storage. The drive randomly stops working  a few times a day and either crashes OS (when acting as OS drive) or disappears with "Disk X has been surprise removed" (when acting as data storage).  When acting as OS drive, Windows 10 BSOD's with 'critical process died' and creates no dump because the drive is 'gone'.  The computer must be turned off at this point, restart doesn't work.

Rapid Mode is off. BIOS is in AHCI mode. I have tried multiple SATA ports on my motherboard. I have tried multiple SATA cables.  Samsung Magician claims the drive is good.  I have no problems with any of the other drives on this computer. 

Is this drive defective or is there something I'm missing?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Brand new 860 EVO SSD crashes Windows 10 or simply disappears

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Spoke too soon.  Windows 10 ran for about 2 hours on the SSD and then the SSD disappeared like before. Windows BSOD, left no dump, restarted and said 'drive not bootable', until powered down.  So I'm declaring this drive defective out of the box.  Thanks for all the wasted hours Samsung.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did you try a different power cable?  If so then it looks like a flakey drive.

Shtuff happens.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I tried three different power Smiley Frustrated

I think it is probably defective but hope I am missing something instead of having to go through the work of returning.

Thanks

Highlighted
Supernova

JUMP TO SOLUTION

@userhyQWEsT3iT wrote:

I tried three different power Smiley Frustrated

I think it is probably defective but hope I am missing something instead of having to go through the work of returning.

Thanks

@userhyQWEsT3iT 

Samsung Magician doen't show any firmware updates for the drive?

Also check to see if your PCs Bios may need a new firmware as well

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Samsung Magician shows the drive firmware is highest level.

BIOS firmware is highest level

Thanks.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

So here is something.  I used Samsung Magician to 'secure erase' in preparation for asking for a refund/return.  It was difficult to get the drive out of 'Frozen State', tried multiple times.  I did succeed in reseting.  I left it connected and rebooted my good OS disk.  I decided to create a partition on the newly reset SSD to see what would happen.  It didn't disappear for a good 12+ hours.  So I decided to try one more time, this time just cloning my OS drive (I really didn't want to go through the whole rebuild process).  Cloning completed.  

I'm going to try to use the SSD for a while and see if it crashes.  It doesn't give me warm fuzzies though. 

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Spoke too soon.  Windows 10 ran for about 2 hours on the SSD and then the SSD disappeared like before. Windows BSOD, left no dump, restarted and said 'drive not bootable', until powered down.  So I'm declaring this drive defective out of the box.  Thanks for all the wasted hours Samsung.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

my disc dissapeared on me today, i bought it a couple of days ago. did you ever find a solution or was the disc broken?

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I returned mine. I'm assuming it was defective.  If you see "Disk X has been surprise removed" (when acting as data storage drive).   Or 'critical process died' when acting as OS drive.  Most likely bad drive or hardware issue.  My computer had zero problems prior to tryng the SSD and had zero problems after removing the SSD.