cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
useryI6Q30uc24
Cosmic Ray

C32HG7xQQ 144hz refresh rate missing in windows if FreeSync enabled

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hooking up a brand new C32HG7xQQ to a new AMD Rx Vega 64, and windows 10 x64 Enterprise sees the max resolution as 120hz.

Initially to me, the symptom seemed to be that the PnP Monitor default options (60hz, 100hz, and 120hz) when I first plugged in the monitor were maintained even after I download and installed the C32HG7xQQ driver (Mar-2017)... so it almost looked like the driver didn't fully install... well didn't solve the issue anyway.

I've tried a new DP cable that I purchased, tried uninstalling/reinstalling monitor drivers, even uninstalled/reinstalled AMD's drivers... all ended up with 120hz being my cap.  Then tried lowering the resolution from 1440P to 1080p... still 120hz max.

Finally I thought I'd try disable FreeSync in the monitor settings... and low and behold 144hz finally showed up in windows.  Enabled monitor Freesync standard engine again and 144hz dropped off... even tried FreeSync ultimate engine and 144hz was still no where to be seen.

Did I get a bad monitor? Or is there a software/firmware update for it that might resolve this issue?

FYI... the monitor's OSD always showed 144hz even in freesync mode, it just doesn't translate that to the OS.  The end result is that many games (like Grim Dawn) give a list of resolutions/frequencies to pick from in their settings... and they typically inherit windows display settings.... so if the OS doesn't see 144hz as an option, neither does the game.

UPDATE: I did a software/Firmware update from 1004.0 to 1009.1 and 144hz started working like it should.  Is there a list of firmware/software updates? and can I download older versions, or is there a compilation somewhere? 

Also reading another thread where FreeSync2 support might have been disabled... is this true?  If so, as of what version?  Noticing 1012.2 is also out, but I'm leery to install it if it's what disables FreeSync2.

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
useryI6Q30uc24
Cosmic Ray

Re: C32HG7xQQ 144hz refresh rate missing in windows if FreeSync enabled

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Because this first post of mine had gome missing after a few edits... I suspect for mod approval... I opened a second thread after I learned a bit more and discovered my own solutions.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: C32HG7xQQ 144hz refresh rate missing in windows

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello! We were able to hear back from our Product Support team in regards to this.  For update 1013.0 , the DPMS wake mechanism was adjusted in order to remove some of the unnecessary delay. Firmware updates cannot be rolled back. I do not have any information showing that FreeSync2 has been disabled. 

Highlighted
useryI6Q30uc24
Cosmic Ray

Re: C32HG7xQQ 144hz refresh rate missing in windows if FreeSync enabled

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Because this first post of mine had gome missing after a few edits... I suspect for mod approval... I opened a second thread after I learned a bit more and discovered my own solutions.

View solution in original post