cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
dogJW
Asteroid

C34J791 firmware update needed: Bug in new MacOS Catalina with MacBook Pro using T3/USB-C

After recent MacOS Catalina migration, the C34J791 monitor connected to a a 2018 MacBook Pro 13" i7 (via Thunderbolt3/USB-C) now briefly blacks out about 10 seconds after the MBPro establishes a signal connection to the C34J791 monitor, such as:

1. about 10 sec after "awakening" the C34J791 monitor from auto-sleep (from Mac's Energy settings), or

2. about 10 sec after entering screenlock password when booting up with the C34J791 monitor connected, or
3. about 10 sec after connecting or powering-on the C34J791 connected to the MBPro via T3/USB-C cable.

The brief (1.5 second) blackout usually occurs only once upon the signal connection and doesn't repeat until the C34J791 monitor auto-sleeps again and then is re-awakened. The problem also does not occur on the Macbook Pro's built-in display - only the C34J791 monitor. Resetting SMC/PRAM doesn't help.

This worked perfectly in Mojave and seems to be an C34J791 driver/firmware incompatibily with Catalina. 

Samsung please update firmware asap!  Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
Samsung Care Ambassador

Re: C34J791 firmware update needed: Bug in new MacOS Catalina with MacBook Pr..

Catalina is macOs and not Samsung. I would contact Apple

usercgvABM2Kxg
Astronaut

Re: C34J791 firmware update needed: Bug in new MacOS Catalina with MacBook Pro using T3/USB-C

Same thing here! I thought I was the only one.

userao7DAMlQHd
Constellation

Re: C34J791 firmware update needed: Bug in new MacOS Catalina with MacBook Pro using T3/USB-C

I need this as well.. Same problem.

dogJW
Asteroid

@userao7DAMlQHd and @usercgvABM2Kxg ,

I am working with a senior advisor at Apple regarding this issue.

What year/model macbook, macbook pro or other mac are you experiencing this issue with?  Are you connecting to the monitor via Thunderbolt 3/USB-C or other connection?

This will help Apple determine the extent of the issue.

Thanks.

userao7DAMlQHd
Constellation

I have a brand new MacBook Pro 13” with Touchbar. It is connected with the Thunderbolt 3/USB C port to the monitor cable.  Thank you for looking into

this! 

dogJW
Asteroid

That is helpful @userao7DAMlQHd 

Just to be clear is it a brand new 2019 model or 2018 macbook pro?

If you could click on 'apple' and then 'about this mac' and list the information on the 'macBook Pro', 'Processor' and 'Graphics' lines, I believe that would be very helpful to Apple.

Thanks.

userao7DAMlQHd
Constellation

Macbook Pro (13" 2019 Four Thunderbolt 3 ports)

2.4GHz Quad Core Intel Core i5

8Gb 2133 Mhz LPDDR3 

Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536mb

@dogJW wrote:

That is helpful @userao7DAMlQHd 

Just to be clear is it a brand new 2019 model or 2018 macbook pro?

If you could click on 'apple' and then 'about this mac' and list the information on the 'macBook Pro', 'Processor' and 'Graphics' lines, I believe that would be very helpful to Apple.

Thanks.

dogJW
Asteroid

Thanks - sent to Apple.

userao7DAMlQHd
Constellation

No thank you! Hope they come up with a fix!