Original topic:

C49hg90dm power-up glitch

(Topic created: 01-27-2019 01:41 PM)
usertwgLDE7Itl
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hello,

I've a weird bug with my C49hg90dm. Sometimes when I turn on the monitor I've a glitched black screen followed by a strange cyan-blue screen stranded by lines.

I noticed that the monitor's menu still work in this state but doesn't appear because I can still turn off the monitor normally by pressing the main button, go down and pressing it again. Then when I turn on the monitor again everything works normally. It also work fine if the source change I think because the glitch desappear if I reboot the computer.

I don't know if this issue appear randomly or after a fixed number of power-up. I've also noticed that the image seems slightly different when the monitor is about to glitch on the next power-up.

I don't know if my description is clear ? It's not really annoying but I just hope that doesn't damage the monitor over time.

My monitor is plugged on a surge protector Eaton ellipse eco 650 and with a displayport.

93 Replies
dcasa
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Update: fix here

@useruMfHze6DSH

Interesting, this would be the 7th report now. Can you please check the manufacturing date printed on the back?

I wish there was a way to get directly in contact with the engineering team responsible for this monitor instead of having to go through the regular support process. Hopefully, this is fixable via firmware but I think most people will just opt for a replacement that is probably affected by the same widespread issue or return it and request a refund.

0 Likes
userD4X9z2c6qK
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same issue.  My monitor is manufactured in october 2018 and been bought in Israel in december. I have already replaced the monitor but the new one has the same "glitch". And yes, it has been manufactured on 42th week 2018, too.

I have only one question: why the thread is marked as " Solved"? It is obvious, that there is defective product batch on the market. Samsung has look into this ASAP and either recall the defected units or make a firmware patch.

0 Likes
dcasa
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hey userD4X9z2c6qK, thanks for chiming in, a US customer recently complained about the same issue on Amazon.com (link here), so with yours, we now have 9 confirmed cases around the globe (edit: actually 10, since your replacement unit also exhibited the glitch). To summarize: 3 affected units in the US (including a replacement), 2 in Canada, 2 in France, 1 in the UK, 2 in Israel, replacement included) all from purchases made in the last couple of months.

Unfortunately, this being a US community forum, there's nothing they can do to help us other than refer us to our local customer support teams, thus the "Solved" tag this thread has received.

0 Likes
userd5TUrtqDr7
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

happening to me as well get half black and half white screen only got monitor this morning i'm in UK 

takes me about 50 times turning off on at wall to get screen back darent power it off now as can take 30 mins to get back to normal

Samsung you need to address this with a better firmware update

did online support went through the basics hasnt helped

0 Likes
Fogey
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Got this same issue with my monitor in the UK.

Only does it pretty rarely but most recent firmware and can only clear and reset by a complete power cycle. 

@userd5TUrtqDr7 wrote:

happening to me as well get half black and half white screen only got monitor this morning i'm in UK 

takes me about 50 times turning off on at wall to get screen back darent power it off now as can take 30 mins to get back to normal

Samsung you need to address this with a better firmware update

did online support went through the basics hasnt helped

0 Likes
dcasa
Cosmic Ray
Options
Monitors and Memory

@Fogey wrote:

Only does it pretty rarely but most recent firmware and can only clear and reset by a complete power cycle. 

Next time it happens, check if it's possible to power it off as usual by pressing the main button, then down, then the main button again. Obviously, you won't be able to see the menus, but if it works, it will save you the trouble of unplugging/plugging.

0 Likes
usery5jB40QzsW
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I just want to document  that I am too having the same issue with my Samsung CHG90.  It's great when it's working, but the screen at times will go dark (menus still work), and the only solution  is to unplug the power from the UPS and plug it back in to wake it up.

0 Likes
usery5jB40QzsW
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

@dcasa wrote:

@Fogey wrote:

Next time it happens, check if it's possible to power it off as usual by pressing the main button, then down, then the main button again. Obviously, you won't be able to see the menus, but if it works, it will save you the trouble of unplugging/plugging.

I will try that and report back when it happens again.

0 Likes
Fogey
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same issue here in the UK.

Most recent firmware. The occasional coloured and vertically lined screen at boot. Requires a complete clean reboot and time for any residue current to clear before trying again. Bought December.

Version number FD04

0 Likes
Fogey
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I've managed to recreate it twice in the past half hour. Seems to occur more often from a warm PC. By that I mean PC running for a while. Shut down and restart without switching off at the mains plug. Power is still going to the monitor. 

Tried this and got it to recreate the error twice.

Only way to clear it seems to be shutdown the PC. Switch off at mains outlet. Count to 10 so current clears and reboot. Then It didn't recreate the error. Obviously it does occur from cold now and again though.

Love the monitor and my only worry is that is this damaging the monitor or is it going to get worse?

0 Likes