Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
csmith
Asteroid

CHG70 Series 27" HDR problem and Firmware

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello,

I recently purchased a 27” CHG70 series monitor.  The sticker on the back says it is model C27HG70QQN.  The only game I have with HDR is Battlefield 1 (BF1).  My video card is a Zotac Nvidia 1070 using the latest drivers downloaded from Nvidia.  As best as I can tell, the monitor has the latest firmware (more on this in a bit).  The monitor drivers have been loaded into Windows 10.  It just dawned on me my monitor is currently unregistered.  I will take care of that when I get home today.   The monitor and video card are hooked up using the DisplayPort cable included with the monitor.

I am not convinced my monitor is properly displaying HDR.  In fact, it may intermittently work.  Typically what I get when I play BF1, the screen is either dim or everything appears to have some sort of whitewashed foggy look to it.  I have played with HDR enabled in Windows 10 desktop and with it disabled in Windows 10 desktop.  Regardless of how this is set and what I do with the settings, BF1 appears to be having issues in HDR.

I played with my settings on the monitor and on my computer a couple of nights ago while playing on a dark map in BF1.  The total time I played was about 25-30 minutes.  When I first started playing the map, everything appeared to have the bright, foggy, whitewash to it.  Recall this is a dark map.  After 5 minutes or so of playing and messing with my settings, something happened; I don’t know if I triggered something or whatever it was happened by accident, but the bright foggy look went away.  It was replaced with a beautiful, spectacular image.  For the rest of the time I played this map, everything looked fantastic and what I thought everything should look like.  It was quite breathtaking.  All colors looked vibrant, the dark areas looked deep, dark and the areas lit up by lights look bright and fantastic.

After looking over everything, I think HDR may work intermittently but I’m not sure.  I will say I was not able to reproduce what I saw on the same dark map in BF1.  At this point, every time that map has come up since it has the same bright, whitewashed, fog look about it.

Based on what I’m seeing, it is almost like some backlighting in the monitor is not functioning properly.  I’m looking in the monitor settings and see ‘Lighting’ which can be set on and off.  The manual says this handles the LED lighting on the back of the screen.  I also see ‘Local Dimming’ with the options being Off, Auto, and ON.  I’m wondering if these items are working correctly.

I believe my monitor has the latest firmware on it.  I’m looking at various posts in this forum and around the Internet.  Is there a possible firmware problem here?  I’m not at home now, but I think the firmware I have on my monitor is v1020.0, the version shipped with my monitor.  Funny thing is, when I look on Samsung’s Support site, it actually shows two different Firmware’s to download, v1019.2 and v1020.0.  Why are two different firmware versions being listed for download?  Which is the appropriate one?  Can I go back a firmware version and perhaps HDR will function fine?

Samsung, please review this, comment and fix this.  If something doesn’t change soon, I’m going to send my monitor back, get my money back, and look at another monitor.

Thanks,

Chris Smith

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
csmith
Asteroid

Re: CHG70 Series 27" HDR problem and Firmware

JUMP TO SOLUTION

First off, thanks for the response userxzduAGTJQv!

I am aware you don't have to have HDR itself enabled in Windows 10 Desktop mode to get HDR in game working correctly.  You simply just have to enable HDR in the game.  I mentioned enabling/disabling HDR in Windows 10 desktop as I wanted to show I was making changes in the hopes of getting and triggering HDR in a game to work properly.

HDR10 in BF1 is indeed enabled.  I am aware you can go to the information tab in the monitor (or whatever it is called) and 'HDR' will be in the upper right corner. I have checked this multiple times; HDR does show up in the upper right corner indicating the monitor is in HDR mode.

I have already reset the monitor once.  I may do this again for the sake being completness and just being sure.

I did not realize the brightness should be at 100 or it should go to 100 on its own when in HDR.  I'll check that.  However, I really don't think I've messed with brightness (or contrast or sharpeness) much.  I'll set it back to 100 and watch this level in a game.  

I believe I left local dimming at Auto but will check this.  I honestly couldn't tell/see a difference when changing this or the Lighting option.

It really bugs me the screen was in HDR a couple of nights ago, going by what the screen looked like by the awesome graphics and color detail, on one map for a period of time but I haven't gotten it to work right since (again, HDR does show up in the upper right corner of the information tab of the monitor).  I still stand by what I said; it appears to me when a game takes the monitor to HDR visuallly their is some backlighting issue of some kind leading me to wonder if there is some kind of a firmware problem.  Or, there could be a problem with the monitor itself.

I alluded to the firmware files on the website in my original post, one file was called 1019.2 and the other was 1020.0, or somethign along those lines.  I figured out why there are two files with different names; one is for the 32" version of this monitor (file 1019.2) and the other is for the 27" (1020.0) version of the CHG70 series which I have.  I will double check my monitor when I get home but I think I have the latest/greatest and correct firmware.

I'll double all the brightness settings and such and try everything again when I get home tonight.  I will report back.

Thanks again,

Chris Smith

4 REPLIES 4
liakou
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Local Dimming Set to Auto. Even if you have a lowered than 100 brightness setting on the monitor for your usual activities(mine for example is @ 36), check that the brightness is automatically changing to 100 when starting an HDR active application such as BF1. If you see it goes to 100 when starting BF1 you know that HDR has kicked in and dont try to change the brightness when in game, as HDR needs full brightness. Also in the "information" tab of the monitor's menu, you should be seeing an "HDR" indication when it is working, if you don't see it then it's not active. BF1 setting should be set HDR10. Also there's no need to activate Windows 10 HDR for it to work in BF1. Lastly I strongly suggest that if you still get a dull image in the game with HDR on, perform a factory reset on the monitor in the menu, it might work wonders for you. Firmware version is fine. Im on the same one and I also play BF1 and have no issues with HDR. Only difference in my case is that im using an AMD gpu and have Freesync on.

csmith
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

First off, thanks for the response userxzduAGTJQv!

I am aware you don't have to have HDR itself enabled in Windows 10 Desktop mode to get HDR in game working correctly.  You simply just have to enable HDR in the game.  I mentioned enabling/disabling HDR in Windows 10 desktop as I wanted to show I was making changes in the hopes of getting and triggering HDR in a game to work properly.

HDR10 in BF1 is indeed enabled.  I am aware you can go to the information tab in the monitor (or whatever it is called) and 'HDR' will be in the upper right corner. I have checked this multiple times; HDR does show up in the upper right corner indicating the monitor is in HDR mode.

I have already reset the monitor once.  I may do this again for the sake being completness and just being sure.

I did not realize the brightness should be at 100 or it should go to 100 on its own when in HDR.  I'll check that.  However, I really don't think I've messed with brightness (or contrast or sharpeness) much.  I'll set it back to 100 and watch this level in a game.  

I believe I left local dimming at Auto but will check this.  I honestly couldn't tell/see a difference when changing this or the Lighting option.

It really bugs me the screen was in HDR a couple of nights ago, going by what the screen looked like by the awesome graphics and color detail, on one map for a period of time but I haven't gotten it to work right since (again, HDR does show up in the upper right corner of the information tab of the monitor).  I still stand by what I said; it appears to me when a game takes the monitor to HDR visuallly their is some backlighting issue of some kind leading me to wonder if there is some kind of a firmware problem.  Or, there could be a problem with the monitor itself.

I alluded to the firmware files on the website in my original post, one file was called 1019.2 and the other was 1020.0, or somethign along those lines.  I figured out why there are two files with different names; one is for the 32" version of this monitor (file 1019.2) and the other is for the 27" (1020.0) version of the CHG70 series which I have.  I will double check my monitor when I get home but I think I have the latest/greatest and correct firmware.

I'll double all the brightness settings and such and try everything again when I get home tonight.  I will report back.

Thanks again,

Chris Smith

csmith
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Good Monday to you userXZDUAGTJQv (I assume it is Monday wherever you are....),

I went home and figured it was best to start from scratch with this.  I went into the monitor's menu and did a 'RESET' which is supposed to reset the monitor back to factory defaults.  Once done, put everything esle back to defaults which included making sure Windows was in SDR mode instead of HDR.  Also, I went inside BF1 (my only HDR game) and set everything back to defaults (brightness back to 50% as an example).  I verified was set to HDR10 in the game and redid the HDR calibration inside BF1 such that it was just above the point to where the boxes disappeared (it was cranked up a bit, not sure why...).

Everything appears to be working like a charm now!  Since last Friday, everytime I have fired up BF1 the screens have looked fantastic.  No whitewashed look or anything.  I'm flat out enjoying this monitor.  BF1 looks and feels like a new game.

I'm currently using a Nvidia 1070 with the monitor.  Hopefully, AMD releases a decent vid card in the near future so I can take advantage of FreeSync.  If their next gen, 7nm based card doesn't come out till the 2H of 2019, I'll grab a Vega 64.  I should be able to get one of those cheap.

Thanks again!

liakou
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hey, yes it's Monday! Glad you got it working! It is indeed a very good monitor for games, movies and stuff and there's definitely a beauty with HDR in games such as BF1, Far Cry 5 etc...! Might not be true HDR experience but there's a difference alright. Im waiting for Navi as well and hope it will be good. Till then i am gaming with a Vega64 and no complaints so far.

Anyways, enjoy!