cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
usery32WCfJx6Y
Asteroid

CHG90 Freesync Ultimate Flickering with NVIDIA GPUs

As you may know NVIDIA recently started supporting Freesync hardware.

The CHG90 in Ultimate Mode with NVIDIA Gsync active (Freesync compatibility) has serious flickering problems. Can you fix it somehow? I have tried everything, latest firmware, manually editing the EDID to change the variable refresh range, etc. 

No matter what I do the Ultimate Setting causes flickering. Can you perhaps look into it and try to improve compatibility with NVIDIA GPUs? It would be hugely appreciated.

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
usery32WCfJx6Y
Asteroid

Re: CHG90 Freesync Ultimate Flickering with NVIDIA GPUs

I should add that even when I have 120 FPS in game I can see occasional flickering.. but not always. There's something unexpected happening.

It's worse when low framrate compensation mode is on but it's also present at high framerates which makes me think it's some monitor firmware-level bug specifically on NVIDIA GPUs.

Sounds like Nvidia still has some tweaking to do.

Works on my AMD Vega 64 and Radeon VII.

Remember the Nvidia battlecry "Revert!, Revert!".

usery32WCfJx6Y
Asteroid

NVIDIA makes objectively superior GPUs.

I'm merely asking Samsung to investigate the interface between NVIDIA and Freesync in their products. I assume there is something they can tweak to resolve the issue since I'm seeing backlight strobing at high FPS.

I don't think NVIDIA GPUs have anything to do with backlight strobing. That's all monitor stuff.

Nvidia tested 400 monitors and only 12 passed.  I don't expect to see much interest in tweaking existing monitors to work with Nvidia's tweak. 

Google "Nvidia  Freesync"

Now see, if you had purchased a more expensive Native G-Sync monitor it wouldn't have this issue.  Same with matching an AMD Freesync GPU to the CHG90.

The CHG90 is designed as a Freesync and works fine with a Native Freesync GPU.  

I use a 34" 3440x1440 Freesync ultrawide on an AMD Radeon VII @ 144hz and Samsung business class 4k's on the side.

usery32WCfJx6Y
Asteroid

You seem to be confused, there is no "tweak".

NVIDIA supports Freesync adaptive sync. The monitor supports Freesync adaptive sync. They should work together, *especially* when the flashing we've reported is not happening at low framerate.

This is clearly some error in the implementation on the monitor's side.

Why do you think telling me that G-Sync monitors exist is a useful response to my bug report concerning the CHG90? I also, again, don't care about your preference for AMD GPUs or what you're using.

I would ask you to please stop responding to my thread because you are not adding anything to it, just cluttering it up with non-useful responses.

user74GINT3sEF
Constellation

I can confirm this is happening. I have the 32CHG70, and when on Ultimate setting, there is flickering which is erratic. It does not flicker at regular intervals. It also seems like the screen tears anyway. It almost seems like the monitor is "misreading" the frame rates being read from the Nvidia GPU, so it probably thinks the frames drop way below or above the range. Even when I use frame rate limiter however, the issue still continues. I just bought this monitor about a week ago, and I also bought the 27CHG70, and it was happening on that one to. Latest firmware on both. I certainly hope this gets fixed, its a great monitor and would be a shame to take them back as I prefer Nvidia GPU for years.
usery32WCfJx6Y
Asteroid

Yep, sounds about right. I hope they fix this. It seems fixable.

Samsung are you listening?

Mjhieu
Constellation

I also got flickering with chg90 with nvidia freesync compatible, If Samsung wont answer and give us a fix then I will think before I spend money on the next Crg9 monitor. I like 32:9, but I can switch to Asus/Dell/LG if Mr Sam doesnt care about this flickering issue. You can find the flickering also exist with AMD gpu vega64 with this monitor and it still not fix yet. So both nvidia and amd got flickering on CHG90 ^^ https://community.amd.com/thread/223724

Mjhieu
Mjhieu
Constellation

Not only nvidia gpu, with amd gpu also, it seem Samsung monitor always got this issue. My chg90 has the same issue in the post here https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/6rkpsn/freesync_flickering_c34f791cf791/

Mjhieu