Original topic:

CJ791 Thunderbolt expansion port NOT WORKING as expected

(Topic created on: 12/23/20 6:05 AM)
dariosm
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Before buying this monitor, I did some research because I wanted a single cable setup Monitor+MacBook. Some reviews (not sure about the authors bias) emphasized the port options: 2 x USB 2.0 port on the back, plus 2 x TB3 ports (one of them meant to be connected to the host machine).

So, being a "powerful" Thunderbolt 3 monitor (one of the very few out there), I was expecting -per reviews and common sense- the 2nd thunderbolt port to be used to plug, say, a usbc hub to easily add some more ports. Nothing too fancy, just a USB3.0 hub and maybe a usb ethernet adapter.

I've written a post on redit describing the issues I'm having with the monitor out of the box, I've found workaround for some of them but nothing to solve the Thunderbolt port issue. I've tried to contact Samsung Support, no luck so far and too much time spent already (first email was on Oct 12, after having some live chat that suggested me to contact SamsungB2BSupport). After 23 emails, many trivial suggestions to check the user manual, and receiving not once but three times a corrupted firmware from the "engineering team" (which could potentially made my monitor a useless brick), I'm hoping posting here will provide me finally with some directions.

I found one user in the community that said he was able to plug a usbc hub to the Thunderbolt port (labelled 15W) successfully. In his case, he is able to plug a webcam and a keyboard; in my case, I can only plug drives; anything else plugged into the hub is just not visible in the host machine (already tried MacBook Pro Mojave and BigSur; Windows 10; Linux Ubuntu latest).

Monitor model is:

LC34J791WTNXZA

My current firmware is :

m-J7934CGAB-1006.4

Looking forward to get some answers, best.

0 Likes
8 Replies
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am sorry to hear about this. I need to ask some questions that I am certain you have already been asked, but bear with me.

Are all of the cables and the hub you are using Thunderbolt 3 Certified?

Do the TB3 Hub, peripherals, and cables all work with a different device?

What devices are you trying to connect to the hub? Are they TB3 certified?

Is the hub a powered or unpowered device?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
dariosm
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thanks a lot for getting back to me. 

Let me first clarify the devices and laptops I've been testing:

- hosts: MacBook Pro 2018 15" and HP Spectre x360 13" (both have TB3 USBc ports)

- devices: mouse, keyboard and webcam ; also some pen drives, usb3 card reader, external usb3 hard drive

- cables: TB cable provided on the CJ791 monitor box, and a certified TB3 cable

These are the scenarios I tested: 

1. WORKING: devices plugged directly on the onboard Monitor's USB 2.0 hub
  2. WORKING: devices plugged directly on the host laptops
  3. WORKING: devices plugged to the USBc hub, and then the USBc hub directly to the hosts
  4. WORKING: drive devices (none of them TB3 certified of course because they are all USB 3.0 type A) plugged to the USBc hub, the hub connected to the monitor's TB 15W port, and the host connected to the monitor on the TB 85W port.
  5. NOT working: non-drive devices (mouse, keyboard, webcam, usb ethernet adapter) connected using the USBc hub just like in the previous case (4). Note that these devices connected to the hub and the hub to the host works perfectly as stated on case 3.

About the hubs

1. generic multi-port USBc 3.1 hub with: 3 x USB 3.0, VGA, HDMI and Gb ethernet
  2. generic USBc 3.1 hub with: 3 x USB 3.0 and Gb ethernet
  3. docking station from Plugable (TB3 compatible, powered)

All of them work perfectly connected directly to the host laptops, like stated on scenario 3 from above.

Now, when connecting them to the TB3 15W port of the monitor, and the monitor to the host I got this results:

1. Only USB3 ports work for charging or drives; curiously the ethernet was also recognized by the host.
  2. and 3. Similar to 1, but in these cases the ethernet (or other ports) didn't show up on the host

I hope I described all the details you needed. 

One other customer out there told me he's using this simple non TB3 hub as I've been trying, and that is, with the same exact Samsung monitor I have, and non TB3 certified devices (a keyboard and a webcam).

Finally, I had completely different answers from Samsung support about the features of the 2nd thudnerbolt port, such us:

- it's only meant for daisy-chaining 

- it can be used to plug a USBc on in, but only to plug drives to the USBA ports on the hub

I'd really appreciate your help on this. Bear in mind I've already exchanged more than 20 emails, had a phone call and chat with Samsung support and I'm still struggling to either find a solution or to know exactly what is the TB port is meant to be used for (like I stated in the title).

Regards

0 Likes
dariosm
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi @SamsungLou  , I shared with you a lot of information I hope you had the chance to check out.

I'm really hoping to get support from Samsung, from any channel.

I've been trying so throught email, see how many emails so far (a third, from me, begging for a response):

Screen Shot 2021-01-11 at 11.47.39.jpg

One thing I'd like to add is I found a person that confirmed he is currently using a USBc 3.1 hub (with gigabit eth) and for him works perfectly (webcam, keyboard, drives, everthing works plugged to the hub, and the hub to the TB port in the monitor).

The difference with his and min monitor are:

- His model ends with UXZG, mine NXZA

- His firmware ends with CGAA-1000.6, mine CGAB-1006.4

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

The engineers you have been emailing are the same department that I get my answers from. I would suggest you continue communicating with them on this issue.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
dariosm
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

@SamsungLou problem is, I'm not getting any response, and you might get luckier I guess.

Either way, shouldn't be a matter of luck, but a matter of respect to customers to properly and timely answer technical questions.

It's really, really dissapointing to feel Samsung can't care less about its customers.

I hope you can get an answer from them, or elevate the case to a supervisor accordingly.

0 Likes
dariosm
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

@SamsungLou is there any way I can get any kind of support from Samsung? This community, phone number, email, really any communication channel so I can finally get an answer to my very simple question.

Is my monitor malfunctioning, is there any firmware upgrade to solve the issue, is there a comptability problem?

Really, don't know what to do at this point, and unfurtunately I can't return the device and get a better -say, LG- alternative.  

I hope you or anyone else replies. Thanks

0 Likes
Options
Monitors and Memory

in windows you have to accept the device en the thunderbolt control center, otherwise the hub will not work

0 Likes
dariosm
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thanks @marcoangeldelatorre , I did that and that's why the devices I mentioned above work. 

PS: seems like @SamsungLou and Samsung in general (per my several requests for support) don't care much about their customers after the purchase. 

0 Likes