JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

CRG9 USB Power Not enough

(Topic created on: 7/7/19 1:41 PM)
userplSbgyIANY
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am using a C49RG90 and macbook pro. The usb charge port out of the monitor is not enough to keep the macbook charged when using it with the display. Is there any software solution to this? Or just have to keep the standard power brick? Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
TheDaniel
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

A USB port will pull out 5 volts, but usually only at 100mA. 500 if you're lucky, but you would need closer to 1A to charge a large device like a macbook.

It will charge it eventually if the macbook is off, but if you want the book running with the monitor, it will have to be with a USB output from an AC outlet.

---My Signature---
If you're anticipating a follow up to one of my posts, please like my post or tag me. I don't generally go back to posts I have replied to unless I get pointed there.

View solution in context

0 Likes
3 Replies
Solution
TheDaniel
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

A USB port will pull out 5 volts, but usually only at 100mA. 500 if you're lucky, but you would need closer to 1A to charge a large device like a macbook.

It will charge it eventually if the macbook is off, but if you want the book running with the monitor, it will have to be with a USB output from an AC outlet.

---My Signature---
If you're anticipating a follow up to one of my posts, please like my post or tag me. I don't generally go back to posts I have replied to unless I get pointed there.

View solution in context

0 Likes
userplSbgyIANY
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Bummer. Thanks for the timely reply though!

I also wonder if through firmware in future Samsung could implement charging through the USB port when the monitor is sleeping. 

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

The USB 3.0 port on the CRG9 has a maximum power limit of 5v @ 900ma or 4.5 watts.

If the Macbook requires more than this to run/charge then you'll need an external power source.

0 Likes