cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Cbarnhorst
Constellation

Can HDD be cloned to 850 EVO mSata already installed internally?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

All of the tutorials are for 2.5" SSDs.  They show cloning with the new SSD in an external enclosure during the cloning.

I am installing an 850 EVO 1 TB mSATA drive (MZ-M5E1T0BW) on my motherboard's mSATA slot (Dell XPS8500).  I don't have an external usb case in which to put an mSATA drive.  All my cases are for 2.5" drives.  Can I install the mSATA drive first then power up and clone the HDD to the mSATA, power down and remove the HDD, and then be able to boot with the mSATA?

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

Re: Can HDD be cloned to 850 EVO mSata already installed internally?

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi there Cbarnhorst! Sadly I don't have a lot of information on solid state drives, though I'm sure someone in the community may be able to offer some ideas. You are welcome to reach out to the dedicated support team at support@totalts.com or call 1-800-SAMSUNG and choose option 7 for SSD support. The SSD support team is available M-F 9 AM - 9 PM. Sorry I can't be of further help with this!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

2 REPLIES 2
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi there Cbarnhorst! Sadly I don't have a lot of information on solid state drives, though I'm sure someone in the community may be able to offer some ideas. You are welcome to reach out to the dedicated support team at support@totalts.com or call 1-800-SAMSUNG and choose option 7 for SSD support. The SSD support team is available M-F 9 AM - 9 PM. Sorry I can't be of further help with this!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

Highlighted
Harry325
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

yes you can. Two things to watch out for. The Samsung documentation is essentially non existant.

1. Watch the partition sizes. The Windows recovery partition may be enlarged to fill the space behind your Windows part.

2.No one ever tells you to go into your BIOS to change your BOOT disk.

I used Acronis software which you can get free if you have any WD or  Seagate drive.