Original topic:

Can't Migrate from HDD to Samsung 970 EVO Plus

(Topic created on: 4/2/21 7:46 AM)
useruv38buxCLi
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am trying to migrate data from my 1TB Seagate ST1000LX015 5499RPM 1TB HDD to Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500Gb.

I wish to transfer around 270GB (inc Windows 10 and a few programs) from the HDD to the SSD and leave behind ~510 GB of media folders on the original HDD. I chose to exclude the latter media files to remain on the HDD via the Exclude option in the Migration software.

Samsung Data Migration software hangs at 0% for about 5 minutes and then the message is:

"The Data Migration function has been interrupted for an unknown reason."

Having failed like this several times, I have performed the following which has been suggested as solutions prior to running the Migration program, with no success:

Installed the SSD Driver (Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_3.3)
Disabled Hibernation Mode (typed powercfg.exe /hibernate off at the Command Prompt)
Defragged the source drive using the native Windows 10 program
Run CHKSK on the Command Prompt to check the source drive for bad sectors (all fine)

I still get the same error message. Does anyone please know how to fix this? Have I forgotten to do something?

System configuration:

Source Drive ST1000LX015-1U7172 (1TB)

Target Drive 970 EVO Plus 500GB

Samsung Data Migration (Version 4.0)

Dell Inspiron 15 7567

Windows 10 Home 64 bit 20H2

0 Likes
2 Replies
ddaniel51
Comet
Options
Monitors and Memory

Open for a suggestion?

Get a 1TB Evo, clone the entire drive then toss that slow mechanical HDD and replace it with a 1TB SSD to copy back the media files onto.  You'll end up with a faster cooler running machine and extra space for more files.

Acronis has a True-Image software which is what I use that is try before you buy that will get the job done.

My opinion, not Sam's.

0 Likes
useruv38buxCLi
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

SOLVED:  I reduced the size of the Media files and managed to do a full clone of the Source Drive to the Target SSD Drive using the Samsung Data Migration software.  This avoided the earlier error which was caused by using the 'Exclude' option.  

This left me with two identical drives containing Windows 10 and other files. 

I went to the BIOS and selected the SSD as the Boot Drive. 

Finally in the 'Disk Management' Windows tool I formatted the large 929Gb Partition in the old HDD drive, creating an empty but usable Drive for my Media files. 

0 Likes