Original topic:

Cant update firmware on Ultrawide CJ79

(Topic created: 03-18-2021 06:53 PM)
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have an ultrawide monitor CJ79, (LC34J791WTLXZX), and had tried tu update its firmware as it came with the 1006.4

Had downloaded the 1007.4 version and tried as the manual says (on osd menu, hold the stick down) but no matter the USB i tried, it always shows as it doesent find any update

Had tried with sandisk, kingston and even a generic one, all in fat32 and with the BIN unziped inside

Any help?

20 Replies
SamsungAl
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

This forum is for the support of US products and customers. As your product is a non-US model and support for these models is very limited, please seek a support team for your area. You can do so by using this link: http://www.samsung.com/visitcountry  Thanks!

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
user2f6LZsXEIm
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Samsung Al,

I also have this issue (and I _am_ a US customer)...
I have this model:
LC34J791WTNXZA
with firmware version:
m-J7934CGAB-1007.0

I was also trying to update the firmware to what appears to be a later version based on info here on the support and downloads page:
Thunderboltᵀᴹ 3 Ultra Wide Screen Curved Monitor (J791) | Owner Information & Support | Samsung US
that page shows two firmware files:
m-J7934CGAA-1007.4[1CB6]-SVC.zip
and 
m-J7934CGAB-1006.4[67CD]-SVC.zip

I assumed that the first file (referring to 1007.4) would be more recent than the currently installed version (1007.0)?
I have tried to follow the instructions from that page and can't get firmware to update.
I get the warning:
"No valid update files found. Please check your USB device and try again."

My source issue (pushing me to even consider updating the firmware) is with the USB hub. 
I can consistently connect the _video_ to the USB-C port on my Win 10 Dell Latitude 5500 laptop. And the USB hub on the back of the Samsung monitor _does_ work... initially.

However, as soon as the monitor powers down for any reason, then the USB hub stops working. I can restart the monitor and the _video_ is immediately recognized by the laptop, but the USB is not longer working. At that point the only option (so far) that I've discovered is to restart the laptop. At that point _both_ the monitor and the USB hub are recognized.

If I _never_ power down or put the monitor to sleep, I'd be fine, but I prefer to allow the monitor to power down when not in use...

user2f6LZsXEIm
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Still haven't resolved the USB hub issue, but I think I have some insight into the firmware update issue:

I learned here:
Re: USB hub disconnects on LC34J791 monitor restar... - Samsung Community - 1774037

that:
"The two firmware variants on are probably due to a hardware difference in production runs resulting in a AA and AB versions of firmware."

I was able to attempt a firmware update using the AB variant (that matches the firmware I already have), and discovered that I already have the latest firmware and that the monitor won't actually _allow_ me to change to an older, previous, firmware version. 

so, firmware update won't be a problem, but that may not actually solve my root issue (the USB-C / Thunderbolt hub disconnect issue).

userxaPtz0yDDF
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same problem. I have monitor version J7934CGAA-1000.6 and failed to upgrade the firmware using the file "m-J7934CGAA-1007.4[1CB6].Bin".

I always get the message "No valid update files found. Please check your USB device and try again."

Can anybody help? 

0 Likes
ThisIsGio
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm having the same issue. My model # is LC34J791WTNXZA and have m-J934CGAB-1006.4 installed on it currently. I tried installing the update: m-J7934CGAB-1009.0[C73C] and keep on getting the "No valid update files found. Please check your USB device and try again."

I'm confused by what the problem is because clearly this is the correct update and have made sure to place it in the root folder of the USB drive and in the correct USB port. 

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am sorry that your update is not working correctly. Please try the following. On the USB drive, select the file m-J7934CGAB-1009.0[C73C] and rename it to m-J7934CGAB-1009.0 (removing [C73C]. Retry the update with the new file name m-J7934CGAB-1009.0.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
ThisIsGio
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi SamsungLou. Thanks for your quick response on this. I tried your suggestion but still received the same message.

0 Likes
SamsungLou
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Monitors and Memory

Can you please provide your full model number, current software version, and complete update filename?

0 Likes
ThisIsGio
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I provided it above - My model # is LC34J791WTNXZA and have m-J934CGAB-1006.4 installed on it currently. I tried installing the update: m-J7934CGAB-1009.0[C73C] with and without the [C73C]

0 Likes