cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Xanthias
Asteroid

Clean Windows 10 install on 960 EVO w/PCIe "Windows cannot be installed ... "

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Having no luck installing a clean version of Windows 10 on a recently installed NVMe SSD 960 EVO m.2 SSD.

• Motherboard: MSI FM2-A85XA-G65
  • Using PCIe 3.0x4 Adapter
  • Upgraded BIOS to 2.6
  • Running in AHCI Mode
  • Tried both MBR and GPT partition structures

• Windows 10 (on conventional drive) device manager sees the SSD.
  • Installed Samsung_NVM_Express_Driver_23 and the storage controller is using the correct driver.
  • Samsung Magician v5.1 also sees the SSD.

However, during the installation of a clean Windows 10 setup, when selecting the SSD, the install program states the message below. I've tried creating a new partition, formatting it, deleting it - same message.

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer’s hardware may not support booting to this disk..."

1 SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Xanthias
Asteroid

Re: Clean Windows 10 install on 960 EVO w/PCIe "Windows cannot be installed ... "

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks Dave! I should have known a two-year old MB wouldn't accept it. I just "assumed" that since I was connecting it using PCIe that it could do it especially since I upgraded the BIOS to 2.6. I was so close ... I actually got Win 10 to install on the SSD and even changed it to MBR, but this mother (see what I did there?) just wouldn't take. Lesson learned. Thanks again.  -Jeff

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Clean Windows 10 install on 960 EVO w/PCIe "Windows cannot be installed ... "

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hello Xanthias,

Have you tried another Windows 10 install disk? If you have already tried formatting and partitioning the drive and its able to do it when you are manually running the command, then it seem the drive's condition is good. The only other possible factor is the installer itself.

Xanthias
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks Ricky,

Yep, I tried a Windows 10 DVD and USB installer. I also tried an 8.1 DVD. Since I feel I'm pretty versed technically (although now very disappointed) and I've worked on this for 2.5 days, I've decided to get my system back up and running on a conventional spinning drive {shudder}.

I finally broke down yesterday and called Samsung SSD support. They said because I was using a PCIe adapter for the SSD, this was not a supported method and they would not help me. I tried working with the support guy but he pretty much shut me down when I explained what I was doing. He said I can continue to try but Samsung won't support that configuration.

I already submitted a product RMA. Pretty sad support. *IF* I decide to buy a SATA SSD (which I doubt) it won't be a Samsung brand. 

Thanks again for your response.

Nebula

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Hi Xanthias,

From information I can find on your motherboard, it doesn't support booting to NVME, which is why your system won't allow you to install the OS onto the NVME drive.

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Highlighted
Xanthias
Asteroid

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Thanks Dave! I should have known a two-year old MB wouldn't accept it. I just "assumed" that since I was connecting it using PCIe that it could do it especially since I upgraded the BIOS to 2.6. I was so close ... I actually got Win 10 to install on the SSD and even changed it to MBR, but this mother (see what I did there?) just wouldn't take. Lesson learned. Thanks again.  -Jeff

View solution in original post